Cedar Siding My Best Option? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Currently living in Japan

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar siding my best option?

Hi everyone.
I'm a building amateur, but I can learn quickly. So I'm looking at redoing the outside of our house myself, or at least some of it.
We have an old 2-story house here in Japan. The exterior is a kind of concrete made on a wire mesh frame in sections. The roof is made from large ceramic tiles. And the windows/doors are all aluminum frame cheapies.
So I was trying to decide a cheap, attractive way to make it look like a new house. Vinyl siding is popular here, but it's very expensive, and I think the house will still look kind of cheap. I was thinking cedar siding would look really good, and kind of match the image we are going for. If possible, we could also cover the roof and window frames with cedar.
Since the house currently is technically OK, would it be possible to make a very thin, cheap, purely cosmetic exterior reform using cedar? I was thinking of just putting it over top all the old walls and roof, as is. Then it wouldn't even need to be weather proof. Is it possible? What would be the best way to attach it all?
If cedar is difficult, how about another type of wood?
Is this project totally impossible?
Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #2

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Nothing's impossible....perhaps impractical. The problem is going to be fastening the siding. You'd have to fasten furring strips over the concrete in order to nail on your siding. You could trim windows and doors with cedar. I don't think cedar over a tile roof is going to work (though not my area of expertise). Have you priced cedar?? It's way more than vinyl here.......
Old 09-11-2008, 09:27 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is kind of a difficult question to answer. Exterior materials on homes, is generally gauged per climate and region. That also goes for how it is installed, or the method of installation.
Local codes and general building practice also affects the choice of siding, and it's method of attachment.

You would really need to include some more details, and pictures, in order to get more feedback. Example: in my region, cedar is not installed on roofs.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Good point about climate. Atlanta has a fairly temperate climate and cedar shake roofs are pretty rare.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

I too live in the northwest. My house is painted cedar with some blistering and cracking in the exterior paint. I am in the process of getting bids for painting the exterior and have received so many different opinions about which Dunn Edwards paint to use due to cracking and blistering.

Does anyone know which Dunn Edward exterior paint I should use "Evershield (flat) vs. Enduracryl (low sheen)? And how long paint should last?
lundybar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the guides. I'll try to get a translator and sit down with a local contractor I know. I'll let you know what I find out.
The good side is that building regulations, or at least enforcment, are very lax here where renovating on an existing structure.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

It may be possible to use cedar where you're at, but you shouldn't consider it ok to allow water behind it. It would need to be installed in a weatherproof manner. If it isn't properly sealed up and water can routinely get behind it, it won't last nearly as long. Agreed, you'll have to use furring strips to devise a method of attachment for the lap siding. If you're thinking cedar shakes, you'll need furring strips as well as sheathing.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #9
Drywall contractor

Post some before and after pics if you get a chance. Interested to see how it turns out.

Advertisement