Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar Siding Gap

Hi...I'm replacing some warped pieces of lapped cedar siding and have found two pieces with about a 1" horizontal gap between them. Instead of being overlapped, they were nailed at both the top and bottom of each piece. It's not in a very visible location, on the side of the house on the second story, so I guess someone just took a shortcut. Of course, they have now cracked and need replacement. The pieces are only about 6' long.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. I thought about cutting a mini-lap piece, but that would probably just warp and look odd. Any ideas?

corin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #2

Cedar Siding Gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by corin99 View Post
Hi...I'm replacing some warped pieces of lapped cedar siding and have found two pieces with about a 1" horizontal gap between them. Instead of being overlapped, they were nailed at both the top and bottom of each piece. It's not in a very visible location, on the side of the house on the second story, so I guess someone just took a shortcut. Of course, they have now cracked and need replacement. The pieces are only about 6' long.

I'm not sure how to deal with this. I thought about cutting a mini-lap piece, but that would probably just warp and look odd. Any ideas?
To properly shed water, they need to be lapped. Install the new ones so they lap. Add a flashing and maybe a spacer at the top. I don't know how this siding terminates at the top.
A picture would help with the visual.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #3

Cedar Siding Gap

Well, I'd much rather not replace all the other boards all the way up to the top as they are in good condition and it would be a lot of extra work. I'm calling around to see if I can find some 10" wide siding, as the existing are 8".
corin99 is offline   Reply With Quote