Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #1

Share |

cedar shingle cost!!!

Holy moly!! I just built an addition on my garage and I need approx 400 square feet of 18" grooved Cedar wood shingles to match the existing shingles that are on my house and the original part of the garage I added to.
I went to The Home Depot and they want $90.00 for a carton of 25 square feet. That would cost me $1440.00 for shingles alone! Thats as much as I spent for all the lumber to build it and the architechural asphalt roofing shingles combined. I am now rethinking what to do about siding the addition because I only budgeted about $400.00 to side it.
I was thinking T1-11 and staining it the same color as my house (gray) but Home Depot, Lowes and the local lumber yards have many choices when it comes to 4 x 8 sheets of exterior wall covering. My addition is currently sheathed with 7/16" OSB.
Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. I was very surprised at how much wood shingles cost! Even the smooth ones are $40.00 a bundle. For some reason, I thought they were going to be inexpensive.
Here is a pic of the addition.

jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

cedar shingle cost!!!

How about putting the cedar shingles on the front only to match the house from the street and then use an 9.25" or 12" Hardie siding depending on the exposure on the rest. This would give you a similar look.

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to josall For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-23-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #3

cedar shingle cost!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josall View Post
How about putting the cedar shingles on the front only to match the house from the street and then use an 9.25" or 12" Hardie siding depending on the exposure on the rest. This would give you a similar look.
That is a great idea.
rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #4

cedar shingle cost!!!

The square footage is actually closer to 360.
I already have 7/16 OSB sheathing and Tyvek installed.
What would be the most cost effective solution for siding? I am quickly running out of money on this project and I only have about $400.00 total to do the siding.
I was looking at that Hardie planking. It needs to be special ordered.
The local Home Depot and Lowes also have exterior 3/8" cement board in 4 x 8 sheets that comes preprimed. It looks a little like T1-11.
I am thinking the least expensive way to do it is with 4 x 8 sheets of something instead of planks or shingles although I do like the way the Hardie board looks.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #5

cedar shingle cost!!!

If you have one in your area, stop by the Habitat restore, to see if they have anything.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (05-24-2011)