Cedar Shakes By Crane Or Cedar Impressions - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cedar shakes by crane or cedar impressions

We contracted for cedar impression siding. The job started and stopped and after three weeks with the roof on and house stripped we got a delivery while we were away. The boxes are labeled cedar shake by crane. They are not the 8 ' long ones. Now we don't know if they are the same quality and whether we should reject them. They were left on our driveway on a friday while we were away and had told the contractor. Is it as good or should we demand the cedar impressions and wait another three weeks. They told us that the reason we had to wait was because we ordered the cedar corner pieces. Is there a quality difference?

Advertisement

elva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

3 weeks more dosn't sound right,you should be able to get the product you want fairly quickly,around here the crane panel is used as a cheaper alternative to cedar impressions,imo your getting a run around

Advertisement

Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

I agree with Tom, any “Siding Supplier” should be able to get your contractor just about any product not in stock within a week.

If your contract says “Cedar Impressions” then that’s what you should be getting. If you decide to go ahead with the Crane you should revise the contract and price.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #4

well how much of difference is there between the two products? how much should I renegotiate the contract price? Also, if we insist on cedar impression will there be problem taking back the crane siding since it was unloaded and left on the driveway?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #5

hard to say,pricing is sometimes a regional issue,but that really isn't your issue,your issue is why is your contractor trying to substitute 1 product for a different one without a good explanation

I'm just going out on a limb here and think maybe your contractor owes the supplier he usually gets his certainteed products from and his credit was cut off so he's trying to substitute a product he can get...this is just conjecture on my part tho

stay on top of this something is fishy

Last edited by Tom Struble; 06-20-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #6

well, we are in ocean county new jersey. Maybe you know this area. Although its not about the money, we have been waiting for several weeks now and hate the think of waiting more. If you have an idea about the difference in price, I'd appreciate a starting point. I'm also not surprised about your guess. Well, tomorrow they are supposed to show up. We already left a message for them and I guess we will have to see what they say. Thanks for the reply.

we just got a call back from the contractor and now he says that just because the contract says "cedar impressions" doesn't mean certainteed- that it only refers to the fact that the siding is an impression of cedar and so he could use Crane. He also says that crane is just as good and cost the same. What do you think
Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM   #7
Mod

What does the contract say, “Cedar Impressions” or “The impression of Cedar”?

“Cedar Impressions” is a trade marked name.

When you said the house is stripped, I’m assuming you mean there is no siding on your completed home or is this new construction.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #8

It was stripped about two weeks ago. Now the siding was delivered. The contract says "cedar impressions"- "natural clay". What we got is "portsmouth shake" by Crane in "clay" color. The contractor now says that he only uses Crane. In the end, if the product is as good, I don't mind keeping it. I really can't find anything definitive about that on line. On consumer reports they compared Cedar impressions to the 8' long cedar shake by Crane and it was comparable except for rigidity. Crane wasn't as good. But in this case, we don't even have the 8' version just the plain cedar shake. Does anyone know if it is as good?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
Mod

“Natural Clay” is a color of “Cedar Impressions”.

I wish I new what to tell you.

You do have a issue. Something is defiantly off here.

And you have a house with no siding on it.

I’ve heard of Crane but it’s not readily available in my area and I’ve never used it.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #10

its comparable IMO,if you don't really care,whenever i or anyone else i know sell a siding job the manufacturer is always stated not some kind of cedar panel or an impression of cedar...thats bs

like i said im not sure in your area but the difference between the 2 panels cost wise is approximately 20$ per sq around here,yours probably came from Bradco

i just can't believe the lack of communication between you and the company you hired..good luck

Last edited by Tom Struble; 06-20-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #11
Mod

That’s what the wording in the contract is for.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #12

Well, I'm not sure there was lack of communication as much as "bait and switch". When we signed the contract, we had a certainteed board with us and showed him what we wanted. we also asked for cedar impression and that what it says on the contract.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 PM   #13

i was thinking bait and switch but I'm not the sort of guy that like to start a controversy...huh Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (06-20-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #14

Thanks. .. nowhere in the contract does it say Crane and it doesn't say Certainteed --it only says cedar impressions. I'm certain that that and the fact that we had the board with us when the contract was sign puts us in the right. I also know that it may not be worth it to get involved in a long drawn out fight. So, thanks to everyone and we'll see what happens. I guess I won't be recommending them to anyone--even if we settle and everything comes out fine--its the principle.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #15

keep a close eye on these guys and don't give too much money in advance to them,they don't care about whats in the contract,why should you,post some progress pics and we will try to keep you one step ahead of them

Advertisement