Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar Shake Siding Backerboard

I have a 50's ranch with cedar shake siding, they are approximately 24" wide shakes with ~14" exposure (I assume they are about 18" tall). The shakes have a backer board behind them made of some sort of compressed particle mixture. I have done a lot of googling and the stuff is not at all readily available.

Can I just use 3/8" plywood as the backer board, rather than trying to hunt this stuff down? I assume that plywood will be much less breathable than the original backer board, and I wonder if it will cause problems.

Any opinions or other information?

Thanks.
diyroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
Mod

I never have or will use that backer board.

You want to use #4 Cedar Shingles for the under coarse.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #3

Forgive my ignorance, I assume #4 is a lower grade shingle? And I should use a #1 for the exposed portion of the siding?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess it goes like this: attach a lower quality shake for the under course, then attach the exposed portion on top of the under course, with an additional 1-1.5" of shake extending down from the lower edge of the under course?

The total area I am residing is small, but it is also fully exposed, with no overhangs above...so I need to get it right. There will be I&W up the wall ~18 inches, and I will likely use 30 lb roofing felt as underlayment behind the siding, since I will have quite a bit laying around (unless that is a problem?).

Please pardon the redundancy from my previous threads, and thanks again.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, I assume #4 is a lower grade shingle? And I should use a #1 for the exposed portion of the siding?
Correct, I doubt the box stores will have #4's. Go to a real lumber yard and they will hook you up.

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess it goes like this: attach a lower quality shake for the under course, then attach the exposed portion on top of the under course, with an additional 1-1.5" of shake extending down from the lower edge of the under course?
Correct again, no more than a inch though.

Quote:
The total area I am residing is small, but it is also fully exposed, with no overhangs above...so I need to get it right. There will be I&W up the wall ~18 inches, and I will likely use 30 lb roofing felt as underlayment behind the siding, since I will have quite a bit laying around (unless that is a problem?).
18 is a little overkill, 6 is plenty. The main thing with the zero overhang is to pry out the fascia a bit and tuck your felt up under it, even if its only an inch. You want to make sure that if any water breaches the siding the only place it has to go is down the felt, over the flashing and onto the roof.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #5

Awesome, thanks.