Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #1

Share |

Cedar post or stone piers for porch?

I am planning to build a log cabin and trying to use materials that would look appropiate for an old log cbin. The logs are going to be reassambled and re-cut from an 1800's log cabin. I plan to have a cover 8' wide front porch across the entire front which is 40' long. It will be a covered porch using exposed beams. The foundation is block but i plan to face it with stone. The block foundation is 4 1/2 blocks high (about 36"). I will build a subfloor to set the logs onto out of 2x10s and covered with advantech 23/32 T&G. So the porch floor will end up about 4' off the ground. I have pored six concrete footers spaced at 8' across the front where i had planned to build stone piers for the support of the front porch. I have cedar post that i plan to use on the porch to support the roof of the porch. I am considering using cedar post instead of rock piers since then will be so high - about 4'. Would cedar post work? How would i securely afix them to the footers if i did?
Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

My log house has a porch very similar to what you're planning, except it's only 28 inches off the ground (planned it that way so the look wouldn't be ruined by the need to have a railing). My posts are 6x6 pressure treated, set on round concrete piers and anchored with Simpson post bases. I would not use cedar - I've read it doesn't do well as structural members.

Good choice with the Advantec. It's really great stuff.

My wife and I built our home ourselves from a kit. Your project sounds a lot more challenging. Unlike my kit, your logs probably aren't all the same diameter and straight.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 04-22-2013 at 06:50 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Good planning. My pored footers for the block foundation have a step up in them so that a portion of the cabin foundation will needed an extra block. i wanted it to be three and four blocks high but the carpenter and the man helping me set the logs both recomended i go four to five blocks high to keep the logs away from the ground. I ended up going 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 blocks high. Probably will need a porch rail but rails make good places for coffee cups to rest! No codes here in the country to deal with.

Using reclaimed logs is a challenge but i'm getting help from a "log man" to set them up "mostly" square.

Would it be bad to use something like a simpson post base without the anchor bolts....since i already have my pier footers pored? They are not holding up a tremendous amount of weight. Just the porch floor and the porch roof. (At least I think thats not a tremendous amount).
Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
Would it be bad to use something like a simpson post base without the anchor bolts....since i already have my pier footers pored? They are not holding up a tremendous amount of weight. Just the porch floor and the porch roof. (At least I think thats not a tremendous amount).
Not a great idea. Post anchors have nothing to do with supporting weight; they are to keep the posts from shifting and/or the porch lifting from a heavy windstorm.

Just to cover the possibility that I might be a bit off in a measurement somewhere, I did not put the anchor bolts in as I poured the piers. Once the concrete had set, I made very careful measurements and drilled a hole in each pier exactly where the post base should sit. Sure enough, a couple of the piers were off by a half inch or so. Drilling concrete is pretty easy with the right drill and a good masonry bit. I installed the bases using expoxy and expanding anchors. The epoxy was probably overkill, but was easy and didn't cost much.

Good plan having someone helping you who knows logs and log construction. Many details are different with a log home. This is actually our second one - we had one about 25 years ago that we designed but hired a builder to construct (we weren't as DIY savvy then and both had full time jobs). We told ourselves that someday we'd have another log home and we would build it by ourselves. Took a while, but we actually did it (and we're both in our 60s).

Last edited by md2lgyk; 04-23-2013 at 07:27 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #5

I built a building using 12x12 White Oak timbers. I used a lag wedge anchor that I found online. I drilled a hole in both the post and the concrete. I screwed the lag in to the bottom of the timber and then set the whole post into the concrete using the weight of the timber to drive the anchor into the concrete. It has worked great-- 15 yrs ago now and no movement.
BrandonK29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cedar, log cabin, piers, porch, stone