Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cavity under basement Floor

I am installing a bathroom in my basement and I was breaking out the floor and I found a 3-4 inch deep cavity under my basement floor. It is probably 10' X 5' (maybe larger) with damp soil and a little bit of pooling water, and it is right near the wall of the basement. I am looking for some information for a remedy for this.

I am already in the process of tapping into a storm drain so I can flush one pipe of my storm drain due to standing water in my clean out. I imagine there is no
coincidence between the two but would anyone have an idea if I am looking at a bigger issue than just a clogged storm drain?

t-will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

The soil has settled under your house, probably exacerbated by considerable ground water that did find a place to go to (taking soil with it) or maybe a broken drain pipe that released water into that area.

Best you can do is find out if there is water entering that area from water pooling up against the foundation at surface level, correcting that, filling the cavity with sand, tamping well, then repour the concrete floor where you broke it up.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Which means you need to break out more floor

I saw somewhere in the past year where they drilled holes in in the slab and injected foam underneath. Not sure where but it sounds plausible.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Had a similar situation with a client garage where a groundhog had hollowed out a massive home under the foundation once. I was honestly shocked at the size so it had either been going on for awhile or he/she was great at hiding the dirt removed. You probably do not have this situation but if you live near such creatures it would be worth checking the perimeter to see if you have an unwanted tenant.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

I read about the foam injection in one of the blogs. That may be an option as soon as I can find out how to get rid of the water. I just hope he storm drain running around the perimeter of the house isn't clogged. I am flushing out the pipe that runs under the middle of the house. I'll see if that dries up that spot.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know the best way to locate storm drain pipes?