Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
Don't know it all, yet!

Share |

caulking butt joints on siding

Maybe this should be in painting, but...

I know, you are not supposed to caulk butt joints on house siding but this is a problem that is "outside the box." Please regard that "typical" does not apply here and that I have followed all the common steps.

When my house was built about thirty years ago, the builder used sub-standard materials ( a long story for another day). I actually had him replace several of the siding planks before closing. This is what used to be called masonite or fiberboard siding, ten inches wide with a bead on one edge.

After about five years, I began to have cracks at the butt joints of over 1/4 inch, up to about 1/2 inch. I have repeatedly re-nailed, caulked, recaulked, etc many of these joints. Most joints on the house are fine, but there are about fifty that are not. It seems that there is an extreme amount of expansion/contraction going on here for some reason. Every time I caulk, in about a year or so the siding is pulling away from the caulk material. So I scrape it all out, re-caulk, and the beat goes on.

I am wondering about using a minimal expansion foam to seal/fill inside and behind the joints and follow up with caulking. Maybe the adhesive properties of the foam would lessen some of the crack opening and help reduce water (and cold air in the winter) infiltration.

I am also wondering if using a series of galvanized box nails or finishing nails through the overlap of the rows would help or would it maybe cause some bucking if the siding wants to have its way.

I tried to replace some of these pieces before, but could not find a 10 inch material. All I could find was 12 inch and had to rip two inches off to keep the overlap bevel at the same angle (instead of a 3 1/2 inch overlap).

I did find that there was no nailing stud at the end of one wall, which was part of the problem there. Yes, no stud. I actually took several whole pieces off, cut open the ext sheating and looked. Since this was on the back corner, I ripped a piece of siding in half, and nailed that on top of the 1x trim and over the (corner) ends of the siding about four inches.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #2

have the same **** on mine in marietta but it met code when blt about the same time's yours,,, so far, have only had to replace some pcs on the back & used hardiplank,,, thought about looking for a source for the **** but couldn't find 1 up in this part.

stop caulking - caulk has very little elastomeric quality,,, you'll need backer rod to prevent 3-sided adhesion & a decent joint sealant,,, it won't be avail at the apron store OR sher-wms, either,,, look for const supply house ( down here in atl, hgwy mtls ('spook') or whitecap (was bought & subsequently sold by h/d - go figure)
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Don't know it all, yet!

YC, clarify your meaning of joint sealant please.
FYI- I did use backer rod. I have given up on the caulking, ergo the thread. I'm in Carrollton, so maybe I can find an equivalent supplier here.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #4

,,, closed or open cell backer rod ??? we'd pick closed,,, doubtful you can as i wouldn't think there're many contractors out there,,, google whitecap & see where the closest location is,,, we usually order in bulk & have it dropped,,, think sika or sonneborn'll be your best bet.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
Don't know it all, yet!

Couldn't begin a guess on the backer rod. Whatever they had at HD.

Regarding the joint sealant, I am somewhat familiar with sealant for concrete joints and I have seen tubes of "sealant" material similar to caulking tubes. Is this what you mean?

Thanks

PS- I vaguely recall a term of "3 sided adhesion" some time long ago but had forgotten about it until you mentioned it. I suppose my idea of nailing the ends of the boards together would cause the same problem.? Will check those products you mentioned.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #6

the apron stores do carry closed cell but only in a couple diameters - the wrong ones ,,, open cell's oft called 'denver foam' & is yellow but could be avail in other colors if your house's particular

sealant comes in small/large tubes, sausages, 1gal cans, 5gal buckets, & 55gal drums

no idea on nailing board ends together but this siding hasn't any strength imn-s-hfo at least at my house
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Don't know it all, yet!

Just to clarify myself, the nailing I was talking about was not the ends of the butting boards together but rather each board to the next course above and below. Like holding hands, thought maybe that would reduce some of the movement. But probably not on second thought. Like I said at the beginning, "outside of the box."

More to the point, I went to a local Builder's Station. Small chain I think as they used to be an independent local. Anyway, they carry some BM products and have a Moorlastic acrylic urethane sealant that seems to be labeled for the use I need. Any opinion on that category of products?

I Googled the products you mentioned earlier but haven't found a local source yet. Will keep looking.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #8

not a clue, bud,,, can't hurt, tho,,, all my caulking/sealing's been done on hgwys, airports, hi-rise, etc,,, the house doesn't require much.

the apron stores carry some sika but not for your purposes.

Tags
exterior caulking, siding