Caulking Brick - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Caulking Brick

I've caulked before, tubs etc. so I'm not a total newbie to caulking, but it's time to do the windows. Actually it was time last fall but lets not go there.

We have a brick house with aluminum windows. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or tips to make caulking brick a little easier. I know caulk should be applied to a clean surface but is there anything I can or should use on the brick besides a stiff brush? Any suggestions on what type of caulk to use. And lastly, we have three second floor windows. Is it a major no-no to do these from the inside (also brick)?
Attached Images

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Caulking Brick

You want a urethane caulk. And the joint should be fairly wide to assure a good bond. 3/8" Tool with a back of a spoon. Do not tell your wife you took it from the kitchen. And yes no reason not to caulk the inside also. Clean first with windex will work also spray on joint prior to tooling. Caulk only about three feet then tool.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Caulking Brick

Thanks for the help Bob. I was thinking a smaller bead would make less of a potential mess but that makes sense.

Except about not telling the wife.

That part's a bit difficult.

I is the wife.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #4

Caulking Brick

Note that Bob used the word "also" when referring to caulking the second floor windows...Meaning in addition to the outside. There's no way around doing that unfortunately.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Caulking Brick

okay I was using two answers to two questions. But of course you need to caulk the outside as a priority. In most all other cases except maybe siding the caulking joint would be small. This is the exception here.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Caulking Brick

i like to use painters tape on the windows and the brick prior to caulking. Takes an extra minute but you'll see the difference right away compared to windows that arent taped off first.
II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Caulking Brick

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Note that Bob used the word "also" when referring to caulking the second floor windows...Meaning in addition to the outside. There's no way around doing that unfortunately.
That is what I was afraid of (and needed to know). The sloping ground, A/C unit, and a couple of "greenhouse" windows that stick out on the first floor are going to make that a challenge.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Caulking Brick

I prefer to use a high viscosity silicone, it is easier to tool(smooth) than home center silicones and fills the larger voids common in most brick applications. I have found that Novaflex by Novagard works well,(it has the consistancy of peanut butter vs. mayonaise) but it is not available in home centers. You can find it at many siding and window distributors though. If the house in your avatar is the house in question, it does not appear that it would be too difficult to seal the outside of the windows from a 24' extension ladder, but the outside IS very important. If the garden windows wont allow you to do this, at least try to caulk as much of the outside 2nd floor windows as you can. You can do a major portion of this from inside the house... raise the window, remove the screen and reach as far as you SAFELY can. I have had to sit on the window sills of open windows to do seal units 10 floors high, but I would NOT recommend this for the average DIYer, but when you are installing windows in a condo, you do what you have to do. The majority of rain will hot the lower 2/3 of your window, so at least getting that high will help if the current caulking had failed. Keep plenty of rags/paper towels on hand so that you can complete each window in one shot. I definitely recommend having someone there to help... for both your safety and to hand things as needed.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Caulking Brick

Yes, the avatar is the house.

I've been up there on an extension ladder before, cleaning out the gutters. Not my favorite chore.

I guess I'll just do the bottom and sides reaching out from inside to protect from water, and then do the whole thing on the inside for drafts. At least I don't have to worry about removing the old caulk, there is none!

Thanks again all.
Attached Images

Advertisement