Caulk At Bottom Of Column Post - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Caulk at Bottom of Column Post

Hi Folks:

Need your advice and recommendations.

Yesterday I was painting 3 supporting columns that are under the roof of my front entry. The columns are 4x4s and are exposed to the environment. Although it is under cover, at times during heavy rains the inteface between the bottom of the column and the concrete floor is wet. It is not soaking wet but visibly wet. When the rains stops it takes about 1/2 to full day to dry (visually).

My friend came by and suggested after the painting is dry to apply a bead of caukling along the 4 sides at the bottom interface to prevent water from getting under the column. The column is in good shape and for all I know it is original to the home (60 years old). Would you do what my friend suggested? I am thinking the opposite that I should not caulk it because any slight amount of moisture trapped under the column will sit there and cause greater damage to the bottom.

Advertisement

Shuriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Caulk at Bottom of Column Post

If the post is actually set in the concrete, caulking it probably won't make much difference either way. If its OK after all these years, why change anything?

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote