Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Caulk for below ground

Hello all!

I installed some PVC electrical conduit that exits the foundation of my house in a spot that will be below ground once the top soil is brought in (new construction).

I'm looking for a caulk that is rated for below ground. I didn't see anything at the home center.

Is this something I can buy locally or would it be a specialty item?

Thanks for your help.

Richo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 01:19 AM   #2

Caulk for below ground

Hard to believe silicone or any of the various butyl rubber caulks would not work. This may be worth a look. Ok, the chick was cute; what can I say?
http://www.bestmaterials.com/caulk_sealants.aspx

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Caulk for below ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Hard to believe silicone or any of the various butyl rubber caulks would not work. This may be worth a look. Ok, the chick was cute; what can I say?
http://www.bestmaterials.com/caulk_sealants.aspx
Yup, silicone should do just fine. Get a tube and caulk gun, not those silly squeeze tube things. Your other option would be an injected epoxy if there are any structural issues associated with the hole in the wall you need to address.

http://www.abatron.com

And jklingel, she was rather cute.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

Caulk for below ground

Well, I had checked the silicone at the home center, the stuff that says "waterproof" but it also says not suitable for underwater use, so I would assume that it would not be suitable for underground either, being that wet ground may have the same effect.

I had been discussing this conduit installation on the electrical forum and one of the guys there said not to use standard outdoor caulk, but he didn't say what I should use.

The part where the conduit exits the foundation is actually through wood and not concrete, so any water entry into the building could cause more damage than just a little water coming in the basement.

Yeah, the girl is cute. They know what sells their product
Old 05-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Caulk for below ground

Hopefully your soil does not have 100 percent water content? I still think silicon would work just fine for this. Or as mentioned, go for an epoxy caulk if you are really worried.

You mentioned part of this involves a wood hole? That wood is treated if it is to be buried I hope.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #6

Caulk for below ground

I don't know about the properties of the wood. Appears to be LVL, but it has some kind of heavy gray plastic barrier around it, apparently meant to mimic the look of concrete foundation. It's a flush entry home so the joists actually sit below grade but I would have to believe that the builder did it correctly to protect the wood.

Normally the top soil is supposed to go almost to the bottom of the siding but a rock bed with plantings is going to go in this section. Perhaps the landscapers can keep the top soil below the conduit and mound the rock bed over the pipe to hide it. That way I can just use the silicone and not worry about ground contact.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Mod

Rewards Points: 10

Caulk for below ground

The top soil shouldn’t come within 6” of the siding. I’d caulk that with a polyurethane caulk like Vulkem or Quad. You can get them both in grey.