Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #1

Share |

cathedral celing

I have a ranch built in 1960 in Maine. The roof trusses are 2x6 going up to the peak and 2x6 spanning the living space below. This is an single story only. I have been in the attic to see what type of support is below and it apears that there is nothing truely supporting the span 2x6's. My pitch is like a 4 12 or 5 12. My question is, can I secure 2x8's 4' down from the peak to the existing 2x6's and possible scab over the existing 2x6'x with 2x8's and cut outthe 2x6's that span the living area so that I can have an catheridal celing, and not have any problems with the roof supporting the winter load weight.
Or can is scissor the rafters to get the same effect

Last edited by jburgess; 02-14-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: extra question
jburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

cathedral celing

I had some trouble understanding your post, I think your terminology is a little garbled. Based on your description, you do not have a truss, you have 2x6 rafters, and 2x6 joists. You state that nothing is supporting them, but this makes little sense, as they would fall down if nothing was supporting them. Likely the joists are supported by the exterior walls, and the rafters probably connect to the joists above the exterior wall.

In any case, perhaps you could post some photos of your situation, confirm the actual geometry of your roof (we need the length of the joists and the rafters), then post a diagram of what it is you want to achieve. I think you are trying to convert a conventional roof with floor joists to a cathedral ceiling, which effectively requires you to raise the floor joists. This may be doable, but there are some serious structural issues that need to be addressed, particularly with respect to spreading forces on the walls. But maybe I don't understand your plan at all.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #3

cathedral celing

Being in ME your going to have to concider snow loads with that low slope roof. The 2 X 6 ceiling joist are the only thing stopping that roof from spreading.
Cathedral ceilings look cool but there lots of draw backs to them.
Since heat rises that room will become cooler because the heats will be traped at the highest point.
In your area an R-50 (about 12") is suggested for ceilng insulation, not going to happen with 2 X 6's and a foam baffle for air flow to the ridge vent. Best you could get is about R13. It would be best to remove the shingles and and add foam insulation over the sheathing to gain more R value.
Can it be done sure, but your going to have to have an engineer go over any plans.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote