Casting Chimney Crown
I'm no mason or chimney pro, but I cast my own in place. My old one was deteriorated to the point that there was no way to repair it, so I removed it in small pieces.
Mine is about 22' in the air, and was 24x48" approximately. I used drip edge to flash the outer perimeter, and for a clean look. I formed the cap's outer edge out of 2x4's, and screwed it to 2x4's that I had clamped to the outside of the chimney just beneath it. I used 5 gallon buckets to bring concrete up the ladder, and reinforced it with basic stucco mesh. I put a heck of a lot of slope on it and finished it very smooth so water would definately not stand on it. As I recall, I just used regular quickrete. It has survived a few Kansas winters and summers so far. It was a $30 project at the most. There's probably a better way, but this worked out pretty well for me.
It was definately a two person job. You'll need another person up there on another ladder just to help you set the forms if nothing else. At 30' up in the air, I'd want someone mixing concrete and tying it to a rope so I could lift it up as well.
Last edited by Termite; 06-18-2008 at 03:06 PM.