Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Casement Window Horizontal Installaton

My wife and I are owner-building a Dome Home. We ran across a great deal on some salvaged Pella windows, Architect series, less than a year old. All are in like new condition. I am going to use them in new construction and have three questions:

1) I would like to install some of these casement windows at floor level in a horizontal orientation. (open up, not left or right). They are approximatel 29x71 in size. Can they be installed in this manner, or will the weight of the window be too much for the casement mechanism? Typically, they will only be cracked open to allow for some ventilation.

2) I am trying to locate replacement nailing fins as the old ones were removed by the insurance salvage crew. I saw the previous post by Kain Dillon but would like some "helpful" replies. Does anyone know where I can purchase some clip-in nailing fins?

3) I need to purchase six custom made triangular window panes. Tempered, Double or triple pane, low-e, argon/krypton filled etc. These will be large south-east facing windows (each one app 6' point to point). Anyone know of a good source for this custom glass? Most everyone want to sell me a custom window, frame and flashing. I will be building custom frames and I just need the glass panes. I am located in SC.

Just joined the forum - hopefully this will be a great source of knowledge to draw from. - Thanks in advance for your comments and replies.

DomeHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #2

Ixnay on the casement in horizontal position. They will not hold out water and the weep holes would be in the wrong place. What you need is awning windows.

No need for nailing fins if you can frame in the windows. Use Z flashing to move water away. This is a little more difficult but is rather common with wooden windows.

Depending on the window type you can drill through the frame with drywall screws and secure it in that way also. I do that all the time on existing instillations. I use white screws so they are less noticeable.

As for glass you just have to call around till you find a dealer willing to order them. Check with stores that sell windows only or a full service lumber yard. Home Depot and Low's are not service oriented and will not help you.

Unless the weather has changed big time in SC why would you need triple glazed windows????

Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Agreed, you can't orient the casements horizontally without a myriad of issues.

Any glass company can get your insulated glass panels made. Definately not something to order from a box store.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:09 AM   #4

Thanks for the info on the casement windows. I know triple pane, multi coating etc is excessive in SC, but I spent over $3000 last winter on propane alone on my current home which is about 2/3 the size of the home I am building. The dome home will have around R30 under slab (radiant floor) and +R50 in the walls, so I can't see putting cheap windows in and loosing/gaining all that heat through the windows. I found a heat calculation web site and after putting in estimated figures (converting round to square) it calculated a negative number for annual heat loss. Since my radiant floor is going to be supplied by solar heaters (with elec boiler backup) I hope to have near zero heating costs. My first couple of years in the home should pay for the 'extra' money I am sinking into energy effeciency now. Thanks for the replies
DomeHome is offline   Reply With Quote