The Case Of The Hanging Base Plate - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2008, 09:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

The case of the hanging base plate

While doing an addition to my garage, I discovered that one of the garage walls was defectively framed. It's a slab on grade with a 6" wide curb on which the base plate is mounted. The problem is that for whatever reason the wall was framed with the base plate hanging out off the curb towards the exterior by more than an inch, so there's barely half the width of the base plate being supported by the foundation. (It's 2x4 construction.) The garage was built 20 years ago so I don't think that it's going anywhere, but I feel like I should do something to strengthen it now that I know about it. My thought was to lay another 2x4 base plate on the curb on the interior, redhead it into the curb, and then tie the new base plate to the old with some kind of Simpson connector. Any thoughts on whether this would do any good and the best way to tie the two plates together? Thanks for any ideas.

Advertisement

KaiserS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I don't understand your post. A 2x4 wall base plate is 3 5/8" wide. If its hanging off by 1", then its still got 2 5/8" sitting on the concrete. That's more than 2/3. I would just have a few more beers and forget about it, unless you are afraid you are going to run into the wall again with your car, and if that's the case then just install some 4" pipe bollards or put some heavy machinery or something like that in front of the wall.

Advertisement

nacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply. The base plate is actually hanging off by an inch and a quarter, and the plate is closer to 3 3/8" wide, not 3 5/8", so its got about 2 1/8" bearing on the curb. So it is more than half on the curb, but not by a lot. I should also have said that I'm in California so seismic activity is a factor. (Although when the Big One hits this plate will be the least of my worries.) Does that change your answer at all? Thanks.
KaiserS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

its been there for 20 years so I doubt its a big problem now, you could bolt or tapcon a 2x4 under the plate on the outside then nail down into it fairly easy I would think
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Don't worry about it. Garages don't have a lot of weight to them. Don't store a lot of stuff up in the ceiling.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote