Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #1

Share |

carport turned living space

I have a 14X34 room that was originally a carport, the room has carpet covering the existing floor, we are wanting to put hardwood down to upgrade the room to match the rest of our house. The existing concrete floor has a crown in the center of the room, running the entire length of the room but one side has about 2-3 drop to assist with run off when it was a carport. How can I level and put down hardwood?

dantheman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #2

Carport slabs rarely had footers, and as such, the slab moves with temp. changes. That makes it hard to convert into a room. Always getting cracks where the room joins the house. There are ways to build a flat floor, but difficult to prevent cracks/gaps.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:31 AM   #3

A friend of mine converted a carport. He framed a floor with joists over the slab. In addition to leveling things out, he wanted to run ducts in it.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #4

Understood but we have been in our home for 10 + years, would imagine that all of the shifting should be complete by now but maybe not.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #5

Pyper, I have thought of that also but one thing that concerns me is how do I go about doing it since I only have minimum clearance from the crown of the floor to the side that has the most drop in depth. Could I take cardboard sheet and set it in the room at the width and scroll w/ pencil the depth that is required and number the 2x4's that would support the floor joists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyper View Post
A friend of mine converted a carport. He framed a floor with joists over the slab. In addition to leveling things out, he wanted to run ducts in it.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman15 View Post
Pyper, I have thought of that also but one thing that concerns me is how do I go about doing it since I only have minimum clearance from the crown of the floor to the side that has the most drop in depth. Could I take cardboard sheet and set it in the room at the width and scroll w/ pencil the depth that is required and number the 2x4's that would support the floor joists?
You can pour a self leveling compound that will give you a flat surface you can better deal with. Laticrete makes one I've used many times, but there are many companies that make a similiar product.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #7

Quote:
I remember that my friend used 2x6 joists and supported them as necessary (spanning the width of a 2-car carport). He put tile down, and there haven't been any problems in about 2 1/2 years. The finish floor is at the same level as the "addition" and the 2x6 was the only way it would fit, but I don't know what the mid-span support details are. Whatever he did, it's really solid.

Unfortunately, I didn't see the framing, so I'm kind of hazy on the details.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM   #8

Do you have a specifica manufacturer that we could use for the slef leveling compound? Also can you pour the self leveling coumpound against drywall or would we need to put in treated 2x4 in between my wall framing? See attached picture, it appears that we would have to pour the self leveling on both sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You can pour a self leveling compound that will give you a flat surface you can better deal with. Laticrete makes one I've used many times, but there are many companies that make a similiar product.
Ron
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Do you have a specifica manufacturer that we could use for the slef leveling compound? Also can you pour the self leveling coumpound against drywall or would we need to put in treated 2x4 in between my wall framing? See attached picture, it appears that we would have to pour the self leveling on both sides
Laticrete, is the manufacturer. I bought it at Lowes. I think USG makes one. Home Depot carries this product. It might be the USG version.
The mixture will be a pancake batter consistency that will dry enough to walk of in 30 minutes or so. The sheetrock should be installed well off the floor in a basement due to the inherent potential water issues. If it's close to the floor, I would just use a tape to keep the moisture away from the paper.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #10

Ok understand, but can I use this self leveling product up to 3 inches to bring the room to level? Also, would it be a good idea to have multiple people with me to keep the pour on going at all times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Laticrete, is the manufacturer. I bought it at Lowes. I think USG makes one. Home Depot carries this product. It might be the USG version.
The mixture will be a pancake batter consistency that will dry enough to walk of in 30 minutes or so. The sheetrock should be installed well off the floor in a basement due to the inherent potential water issues. If it's close to the floor, I would just use a tape to keep the moisture away from the paper.
Ron