Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

carport

hi, want to build a carport off the side of my house because I'm tired tired of clearing snow off my cars. My concern is that the front of the carport would be open at the northeast side of my house. So I would no doubt still get some snow on my cars during a 'Nor'easter'. Is there a way I can hang a tarp or build something that would temporarily cover the front of the carport? (I know, why not build a garage, too expensive plus I may have a variance issue). Or is there some kind of a kit that I can purchase that would allow for an automatic temporary door (cover). I don't want to go through the process of building a carport if i still have to clear snow off the cars.

reekeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

carport

Quote:
Originally Posted by reekeyg View Post
hi, want to build a carport off the side of my house because I'm tired tired of clearing snow off my cars. My concern is that the front of the carport would be open at the northeast side of my house. So I would no doubt still get some snow on my cars during a 'Nor'easter'. Is there a way I can hang a tarp or build something that would temporarily cover the front of the carport? (I know, why not build a garage, too expensive plus I may have a variance issue). Or is there some kind of a kit that I can purchase that would allow for an automatic temporary door (cover). I don't want to go through the process of building a carport if i still have to clear snow off the cars.
I wouldn't buy any materials until you get the regulations from the building dept about carports. You might come up with the same restrictions.
If there are similiar properties with garages in your area, the variance issue might not be that much of an issue.
Carports, in my mind, are for warmer climates.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #3

carport

Maybe a mansard across the front would help with driven snow.
waterman1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:18 AM   #4

carport

thanks
reekeyg is offline   Reply With Quote