Carpenter Ant Damage To Wall Stud - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Carpenter Ant Damage To Wall Stud

I just started replacing clapboard on my house only to find a major infestitation of carpenter ants after removing some of the sheathing where it had rotted away from the runoff from a drain spout. Yes that will be fixed.

One of the studs behind the sheathing was damaged by the ants, but the carpenter I had working on the house said the 2x4 stud was still good; that the major 3.5" of the stud width was still good.

With the extermination completed, he will be replacing the sheathing, installing Tyvek and new clapboard.

Given there was some damage to the stud and one of the garage roof joists for the attached garage, is there anything else that should be done with the damaged wood to avoid its further deteriation over time?? Or is buttoning it up as planned sufficient based on my carpenter's recommendation?

Thanks.

Advertisement

jdbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

Why would not remove it and replace it or at least sister a new one next to it?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,044

As long as the extermination is complete and their gone I would use the Carpenter's recommendation. Sounds like it was caught in time before any structural damage was done.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I agree with Joe, as along as its open and accessible why not sister one up? can't hurt.
Frankroadrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,044

We're not there the Carpenter said it didn't need to be replaced. He might have caught it right when they started can't see it from here got to go by the experts opinion. That's why we hire PROS.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to COLDIRON For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-10-2012)