Care To Critique My Basement Floor Plan? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Care to critique my basement floor plan?

I'm getting to the point where i'm about ready to start buying materials. I think i am pretty well set on the floor plan but figured i would throw it up here to see you guys see any glaring issues with it.

http://www.filedropper.com/basementsh3dv5

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement

ryanmcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2

That link looks to be junk.

Do you know how I can attach a pdf? I don't see an "attach file" button.

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

You have put a lot of thought into your floor plan and I think it looks great.

I would suggest that you have the door going from the office into the storage room be Left handed, this door would swing open against the wall and therefore be out of the way when carrying larger items in/out of the storage area.
Not to nit pick, but there seems to be a narrow hall of unused space just out side the bathroom door. Have you considered moving the bars refrigand cabinet back against the office wall and moving the bathroom doorway to between the sink base and the refrig cabinet. This would add several feet to the bar area.
I noticed the office has a patio door that could pass as an egress exit. If you add a closet to the office it would be called a bedroom when you go to sell. Thus adding more value to your home.Just a few suggestions and my 2 cents worth, in any event it is a great floor plan and a wonderful additon to any house!
Bruntson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bruntson For This Useful Post:
ryanmcl (01-12-2013)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 PM   #4

I got the floor plan link to work but it required me to enter a on screen pass word.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #5

Bruntson,
Thank you very much for detailed reply. I have not thought about moving the bathroom door to give me the 3 extra feet in the bar area. I will update the plans to include this and see ow she looks.

Also- the door in the office should actually be a window, i must not have sized that properly.

I will play around with adding a closet in the office. I was hoping to maximize the storage area and keep the office a reasonable size.

Thanks again. I will post a new copy once i make the updates so you can check it out.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #6

Made some tweeks. Try this link.

http://i.imgur.com/ChhbN.jpg
Old 01-12-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
Architect / Engineer

Rewards Points: 10

I'm assuming looking at your plan that the stairs landing in the basement is in the lefthand corner next to the water shutoff. I would put an arrow with "DOWN" or "UP" next to it showing the direction of the stairs just so this is clear.

Also what is the Water Shutoff box, does this extend the full vertical length from floor to ceiling? If it does then you have a problem with egress for your stair landing next to it.

Your door into the storage room I would have it open opposite to what it is, same thing with the door into the 13'x11' room, they would both still open inward, just have them swing open against the walls.

With your bathroom I would push your wetwall as far back as you can so that you have more clearance for your door so that it doesn't conflict with your toilet space. You can always frame out to meet the standard size tub, or better yet make a shelf spot for the tub so that you can have space to put bathware.

Last edited by medeek; 01-13-2013 at 12:01 AM.
medeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #8

I like the extra 3' of usable space you added to the bar area. If you are able, the toilet and sink could be reversed. That way if the bath door is left open, your guests see a sink, not a toilet...this is considered a more upscale view. The other option is to keep the rest room door closed. A 24" or 30" bathroom door that swings against the bathtub would work great in your application.

It seems that the width between the stairs and the water shut off valve is a bit narrow to get furniture into your new living space. Do you plan on enclosing the valve with a floor to ceiling frame or are you going to use a bench seat to sit on top of the valve area. If you build a removale bench seat, TV stand or something that would lift off the valve, not only would you have easy access to the valve when needed, but you could get larger furniture and tables into the basemant living area more easily.
Good Luck on your project!

Last edited by Bruntson; 01-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

If your water heater fails, will you be able to get it past the furnace to remove it? Can you get around the furnace to work on the weater heater? One thing I see about the storage area is that you'll need to keep a clear path north from the door and then east to the electric panel and sump pump. That means you'll hardly have any storage space. Why not wall straight across instead of the "Ell" shaped wall to create the storage area?
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

I think it looks really good. Here are a few things to consider:
- Use pocket doors for the utility and storage rooms. They work well in tight spaces like that.
- do you really need an office that large? We have an office that's about 8x8 or so, and it's plenty big. My work is mainly on a computer though. You may need more room to spread out.
- If you do need an office that big, then I agree with adding a closet to it so it could be considered a bedroom.
dunnhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #11

When you need to replace your water heater (and one day you will), you may be in for some major trouble if it does not fit around the furnace. I suggest that before you frame walls, Consider relocating the water heater 4-5 feet west of the furnace, right under the stair way (if the water heater venting allows).

Of course this crates addional space just south of the shower wall. You may be tempted to move the shower into this area, and slide the toilet and sink south. This leaves room for a longer sink. This forum sure makes it very easy for me to spend more of your time and money.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

Guys, thanks a lot, tons of great info here. I made a few updates including measurements by the landing.

Here is an updated floor plan.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/120196615

I added a closet in the office and made the room a bit smaller, 11x11. I want to keep in mind resale value as i go through this process hence i added a closet to make it a bedroom in the future.

I like the idea of making the utility rooms and storage rooms pocket doors. I do want to make the office i bot sound proofed and would like to go solid core doors. Can i do that with pocket doors?

I will post a pic of what i am dealing with in regars to the water main/shutoff.

Please keep the recommendations coming
Old 01-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,790

ryanmcl, I downsized your picture for you.

Here is the water shutoff:
Attached Thumbnails
Care to critique my basement floor plan?-ffwmm.jpg  

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
ryanmcl (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #14

What you call a shut off valve is the water meter and shut off valves. The water company is going to want to be able to change out the meter occassionally (every 10 years in my local) to check its accuracy or other maintaince duties. You must insure they can get acces to it by install a hinged panel/dood over it or some other means. I do not know of any codes that will allow you to sheetrock or permantly cover over the water meter.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

That's what i figured. I will make sure there is access to it.

Advertisement