Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Capping for Windows - Purpose?

I am just curious. Is aluminum capping for windows just to protect the wood beneath? It seems like the flashing system is designed to keep moisture out of the opening/building interior and is separate from the cap. That is, you will always have (or should always have) flashing but may or may not need to cap, is that correct?

In lieu of the aluminum capping, I have also seem people simply paint the wood. Assuming that the appropriate paint is used, I would imagine that this will protect the wood as well. However, the aluminum would seem to be more maintenance free.

Am I warm here?

Thanks and Happy New Year,
Jimmy
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

I'm afraid you've got me Totally Confused.........

What Exactly are you calling a "Window Cap",..??..??....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
I'm afraid you've got me Totally Confused.........

What Exactly are you calling a "Window Cap",..??..??....
Sorry for any confusion. Around here at least (Chicago, IL), they will cut/bend aluminum to cover the decorative wood framing surrounding the exterior of the window. Two residential GC's that I know referred to this as "capping" the window (ufortunately, I lost both of their numbers when I lost my last cellular phone!).
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
Old 01-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

I think most people have the wood capped just to cut down on maintenance. You are talking about having all four sides capped and not just the drip cap on top, right?

Drip cap
Attached Images

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
You are talking about having all four sides capped and not just the drip cap on top, right?

Drip cap
Yes, that is correct. They usually start at the bottom, then do the vertical sides and finish with the head, overlapping each as they go.

So this is primarily for maintenance?

Thanks!
Jimmy
Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
So this is primarily for maintenance?
Thanks!
Jimmy
Usually to eliminate having to paint the window trim. Unfortunatley , on old work,it is all too often used to hide rotten wood without addressing the source of the rot; out of sight, out of mind I guess, at least for a couple of years. The other problem is that very few siding installers know how, or will take the time to properly fold up the metal flanges necessary for water waterproofing the metal, preferring to rely instead on a bead of caulking over the joint. The caulking fails within a year and the rot begins undetected behind the metal.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
Windows & Remodeling

Aluminum capping is most often used to cover up where the outside stops were chopped out during the installation of a replacement window. As mentioned, it also makes the installation maintenance free. It is common to install the aluminum over wood trim that is in less than ideal condition. Some people have concerns about this, however the fact is if the capping is done properly and a high quality caulk is used, it will be sealed in for years to come. In addition, the brickmold(wood trim) is there merely for aesthetic purposes and has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the new window. I often have customers who are very concerned with the condition of the brickmold and want it replaced, however when I explain that they would be spending money to replace something that is "decorative" in function, yet will no longer be seen behind the capping, they usually reconsider. Sometimes though, they insist so I go ahead and fufill their wishes for a small fee.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote