Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Share |

Capping Concrete Steps with Brick and Buestone???

Hey All,

I have formed concrete steps at my front entryway. They are in fair condition, but are unsightly per the wife. I want to cover with brick and bluestone.

I an new tyo masonry but very handy and willing to take on just about any job with the right advice and guidance.

That said, I was thinking about digging/pouring a footer around the current steps, facing the sides and risers with brick and topping the treads and top surface with bluestone.

My questions are:

1. Is this possible?

2. Is there anything that needs to be done to assure the bricks bond to the curent concrete steps? I wouldn't want this new build to break away from the concrete steps with a few freze/thaw cycles...

3. If I wanted to add handrails, are there systems that can be attached after the masonry is complete, or should this be incorporated into the build? I'll research this some more...

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Bryan
bryankloos is offline   Reply With Quote