Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

cape porch rehab

Planning a replacement of my front porch on my cape and I am not competely confident that the columns extending down from the porch roof (which are 4"x4" ornate and bearing directly on the decking attached to it by screws only) are not carrying any of the load. I "believe" that the porch roof is cantilevers as it extends back approx. 8-10' into the main house footprint at which point the main roof goes up at a steeper pitch. I plan on bracing it regardless, but would feel better if I knew exactly how it was framed. House was built in 1990, any framers out there that can add some clarity to this? Thanks

pbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #2

cape porch rehab

Pictures please.
Be safe, Gary

Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM   #3

cape porch rehab

Thanks for responding, you were my only one, attached (hopefully this works, I am a newbie) are pictures of the side of the house/porch and where the post sits on the deck and the subsequent rotten deck framing and post.

cape porch rehab-p1010039.jpg

cape porch rehab-p1010040.jpg
Old 10-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #4

cape porch rehab

Your columns look structural (solid) to me.(because of the beams). BUT, the non-structural ones look the same from the outside. Though I don't understand why the bearing pier doesn't line up with it... And the one fastener, rather than two per composite board as per manufacturer's instructions. The dormer walls are bearing on the house outside wall so only 1/2 the porch roof weight. The floor joists appear to run across, with the house face. Hopefully the piers are spaced close together as it appears to be only a 2x4 for the outside, end joist, or it is a 4x4. The top 2x doesn't appear to be pressure treated like the bottom one.

I doubt it is a cantilever if the front beams above the posts are solid. They could have cantilevered over the house wall, spanning from porch to center house wall...... What is that distance?
I would temporarily support the beams anyway, to cover either way it was framed.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

cape porch rehab

The joists span from the front to the back of the house, I agree it looks that the lower roof system cantilevers out, the porch is 6' and it is about 8-10' back to where the roof pitches up. Also, at the corner where the deck was sagging, the post dropped down with the deck structure and there is a paint line at the top of the post i.e. the roof did not move with it. I will brace it anyway. thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #6

cape porch rehab

any framers out there that can render a judgement on whether this is a cantilever and tied back into the house joist/rafters? Bueller?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #7

cape porch rehab

I started framing in '73, had a framing business for 10 years. (Over 30 years framing houses, and 6 years remodeling). But, I've only built 6 houses similar to yours, all with front porch bearing. Take some pictures inside the house and attic of the cantilever joists, I may be able to help you further.
Be safe, Gary
Old 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #8

cape porch rehab

Thanks Gary for your response, the attic does not go down that far to show the framing, see picture. Today I braced the porch and started demolition, I removed 3 of the columns (both corner columns and 1 other), none of which had any weight bearing on them. The porch roof did not move, so it appears to be a full go ahead, now if I could just figure out how to build the new porch with some degree of competence. Take it easy.