Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Share |

Cantilevered deck stairs

I am building a deck and would like to do something a little unusual. I was thinkinging about making the stairs (prox 3'rise) cantilevered. I want them to attach to the deck and extend out 3' from ledger with treads running perp to ledger. Bacially, I don't want posts to run to the ground on the outer corners of the top landing of the stair case so that it appears to float. Does this sound reasonable or no? It would be attached to (under) deck frame on inside (bottom of picture) but "floating" on outter side (top of picture). Just not sure if this will fly. Don't want to invest in heavy joists just to find out it won't hold up. No building inspectors where I live so no local advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Cantilevered deck stairs-canilevered-stairs.jpg  

Last edited by Darthmaul; 09-13-2010 at 12:58 PM.
Darthmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Cantilevered deck stairs

I have to admit the drawing really doesn't tell me much. Maybe I just don't know too much about drawings.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #3

Cantilevered deck stairs

Stuctures to the bottom of the drawing are the frame for the deck. The black box represents the landing for the stairs and would attach to the frame of the deck by extending joists under the deck. I didn't draw the stairs yet, just the landing. I identified the two outter corners that I would like to have "float". I just don't know if I can support these joists enough from under the deck. Can't sister them with deck joists as they run the other direction.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Cantilevered deck stairs

It's only a three foot rise, correct? Obviously you do not want animals getting (nesting) under there, so some sort of side walls are going to be necessary anyway. Wouldn't those walls hide any posts?

Besides, the railing posts will not be too substantial or sturdy if they do not continue on down.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

Cantilevered deck stairs

Critters will be kept out by skirting around the deck itself. Rail posts would be bolted through joists of platform. So still original question, would it be supported enough?
Old 09-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Old School

Cantilevered deck stairs

No, not unless you incorporated the steps, themselves, as a diagonal brace.