Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cantelever distance for deck

My existing deck catelever about 8 ft from the house. The current joists are in good condition but all the decking and railing needs to be replaced. I want to replace the wood decking with synthetic decking using Timbertech which is significantly heavier than wood. The joists are 2x12 spaced 16in on center. I'm concern about the added weight, anyone done something like this before?

joeyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The post needs more detail and some clarification. It's doubtful the deck cantilevers 8 feet out from the house. That would mean the deck is unsupported for 8 feet and the deck ledger is all that is holding it up.
Cantilever is the projection of a deck past a support. Usually limited to under two feet.
What the deck can support depends on what the substructure is and you left that out.
Try posting a picture of the structure.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #3

That's a heck of a cantelever...

Here in Maryland code is 2ft...but I was able to get the deck to pass inspection to a 4ft one using 6x6 posts....
handyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:23 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

A catilevered balcony is a different breed from a cantilevered deck and it is possible, but has problems.

The major problems are the obvious moisture and rot of the joists and the water intrusion problems in addition to the structural adequacy.

Adding to weight to the joists could cause big problems and the floor inside could be raised due to the extra load on the joists - that is if the joists can handle the load.

Not an anaylsis by way of tables/charts and requires a little more knowledge than the local carpenter/handyman. Certainly the riginal was not buit or designed for additional load.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

You may have another issue to consider as well. I used TimberTech on a deck/wheelchair ramp two years ago, and if I remember right the deck boards required joists on 12" centers if you running the boards at a 45 deg. angle, as is typical. Not sure if that is true for all their products, but thicker boards (I used 5/4) which might span more will exacerbate your weight problem.

I've seen balconies like this quite often, so I'm not sure what the confusion is about (they've usually been more like 5-6 feet though).
LanterDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #6

Thanks for the responses. Yes my deck is more like a cantelever balcony than traditional deck using posts and beams. Several contractors came out and said it's ok but I was just checking to see if anyone has had something like this put in.

joeyellow is offline   Reply With Quote