Can't Figure Out Basement Drain?? HELP - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can't figure out basement drain?? HELP

OK. I bought a house a year ago that is now 4 years old. In my basement the perimeter is cut out about 4 inches deep and 3 inches wide. The perimeter is covered in concerte. I have a sump pump pit but a sump pump was never installed. The sump pump pit has spots for three pipes to come through the ground and into the pit put they were never cut out. My pit is filling with water. After getting all the water out of the pit it just fills up again. The water seems to be coming from the bottom of the pit where a few holes were made. I also have water in the perimeter as well. My questions is what is going on. I have read all about basement perimeter drains and it seems that the drains should have a pipe that runs the water into the sump pit. But my sump pit is solid with the exception of the few holes at the base. Can someone please explain what is going on. I plan on having a sump pump installed in the morning. Once the water stops filling the sump pit will the water in the perimeter go away?? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

edbusjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,450

Can't figure out basement drain?? HELP

You have what is called a "French Drain". Get a sump in it, and it will do the work that it was designed to do (sump well).

Advertisement

gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote