Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Share |

Can someone explain this to me?

In the process of gutting the master bathroom. Got rid of the insulation in the room that has exterior walls today and found some things I wasn't too happy about. For some odd reason(see pics) some walls have osb sheathing and some have fiberboard. The ones with fiberboard seem to have water damage with some type of wood paneling behind it. One corner has a lot of water damage where the wood panels are completely rotted.

I'm not really sure what the next step is going to be....There is vinyl siding on the outside so I guess we could remove it if necessary and put up new sheathing and try to find out where the water is coming from. Also, there is no water damage at all to the ceiling that is noticeable. I will be taking it down soon and can get a better look though.

Any advice?
Attached Images

REXAMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #2

A little hard to tell you exactly since none of us are there to see both sides and how it's put together. I assume the vinyl siding is over the fiber board and that's the area where the wet is coming from.Vinyl siding is not considered to be a drain plane or a water proof siding. It's primarily a cosmetic. The vinyl has to have a drain plane or water proofing under it and it must not be just under it but must go past the vinyl covering to make sure any moisture that gets behind the vinyl is drained to the outside. Yours could have felt as the water proofing and it could have been damaged during construction which is why it makes a lousy material to use but it's cheap. You're going to have to solve the wet issue before you continue with any improvements but I'm sure you already knew that. OSB also must have a drain plane over it as most sidings or masonry products are cosmetics. Might want to check that while you're taking things apart.

TrapperL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. By looking at the last photo what would you think that is? It looks like some type of wooden siding or something the way it's attached. They are overlapped like siding but I can't really tell from behind. It's between the fiberboard and vinyl siding though.

Also, is there any reason they would have osb in some places and the fiberboard in another? I couldn't think of any reasons that make sense.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:11 AM   #4

' those guys got paid & they're gone ! ' is a good phrase to tuck away for use often the most likely reason is they ran out of 1 mtl & found something else ( nearby - cheaper - faster )

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
DIY staff

The OSB is use on the outside corners as wind bracing.

I think you will be removing the siding soon. You are missing the Tyvec house wrap.
tpolk (08-09-2011)
Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM   #6

I resided my house last fall and this "fiber board siding" was behind the aluminum siding. The original siding was asbestos and I believe they used the fiber board to create a level work surface over it, and then put up the aluminum on. The fiber pieces were maybe 8" by 12' and had a lot of water damage. I took off the aluminum and the fiber siding stuff, then put up fan-fold and vinyl siding. Why you have fiber board instead of sheathing is beyond me.... that stuff is a sponge.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #7

I'm trying to make out the last picture, is there another type of siding that has been cut flush to the stud that the new siding is covering? Also the siding material almost looks like hardboard not sure. If that's the case, it is definitely not a material to use for siding. Since your problem is in a corner I would remove the siding and fix it that way. I remodeled my living room last summer, and the inside walls were covered with double layer sheet paneling. Under one window there was a bulge in the wall and I was very nervous when it came time to uncover it. Once uncovered, I realized the bulge was a badly crowned cripple stud and there was a mold infestation that had rotted the 1/2" sheathing into it's individual layers. I have aluminum siding and wasn't planning on pulling it off because it's original (probably from the 1970's) and there is no extra stock to replace anything I would have damaged. So I took my sawzall and cut one side of the plywood and the other side was sitting half on a cripple stud. I built a replacement wall section and slid it into place and secured both sides of the sill to the jack studs and secured the bottom as normal. Then I took spray foam and went all around the cripples and along the bottom plate to make it air and water tight. It was a chore but it is fixed for now and once I plan on replacing the siding, I can fasten the sheathing to the bottom plate as it should be. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Handyman Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
STAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The OSB is use on the outside corners as wind bracing.

I think you will be removing the siding soon. You are missing the Tyvec house wrap.
I am with Mike, with the OSB. Back when I was building the code called for X number of feet of OSB or plywood wall and corner bracing per X number of lineal feet of exterior wall.

That could be brown board instead of black board. The brown board was garbage in my book but the black board wouldn't soak water as easily as it was impregnated with tar or something like that. I still didn't like the black board because it would swell so I didn't use the stuff, but a lot of folks did.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-09-2011 at 01:04 PM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-11-2011)
Old 08-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #9

Just to make sure I'm doing it right.....this weekend I'm going to try and tear it all down.

This is my plan:
1. OSB Sheathing
2. House wrap
3. Vinyl siding

Missing anything?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:30 AM   #10
DIY staff

Window seal tape and window flashing----

Someone with more siding experience will fill you in soon.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by REXAMUS View Post
Just to make sure I'm doing it right.....this weekend I'm going to try and tear it all down.

This is my plan:
1. OSB Sheathing
2. House wrap
3. Vinyl siding

Missing anything?
That and what Mike mentioned.

Post some pictures from the outside once you have the siding off.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #12

Turns out the other layer was wooden siding that was original with the house. I think they must have had some termite damage at one point and also water damage.....I didn't realize vinyl siding was such a pain in the ass to take off with all of the small pieces around the sides and such.

If you look at picture #3...any ideas on how I can get the housewrap to fold towards the side where the window is without removing the window and siding?
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone explain this to me?-img_0007.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2011, 07:47 PM   #13

More photos....The corner pieces were pretty much gone as well so we removed them too since they are no longer needed with the vinyl siding.

You can see how nice the fiberboard is in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Can someone explain this to me?-img_0008.jpg   Can someone explain this to me?-img_0011.jpg   Can someone explain this to me?-img_0012.jpg   Can someone explain this to me?-img_0016.jpg   Can someone explain this to me?-img_0018.jpg  

Can someone explain this to me?-img_0014.jpg  
Old 08-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #14
STAFF

That is termite damage, and I was right that is brown board not black board. That looks like Masonite siding also, termites like that stuff also.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 08-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Tileguy

Yup...TERMITES !!! Better call Orkin right away.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote