Can My Floor Support My New Fancy Beam?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

can my floor support my new fancy beam??

I am removing a 10'5" load bearing wall on the first floor of a two story, pier and beam house. I've gotten the engineered calculation, the beam (3'1/2"X12 llam), built the support walls(of course my second floor joists didn't overlap enough for ONE temp wall to support them all...)
NOW my questions is: what am I looking for to ensure that underneath where i plan to put the king/jack studs on both sides of the beam can hold the weight all the way down?? there ARE cement/concrete blocks and joists directly under both areas i plan to put the king studs and jack studs. I am having a foundation comp come look at it, but i want to be informed about this so I don't get swindled. OF COURSE something will be wrong if they know I cant see it/ don't understand it. How much support is ENOUGH support? I also thought the structural engineer would help with this but he was not equipped to look under the crawlspace at the time.

Advertisement

rlc05n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

I recommend you contact your structural engineer and ask him to complete the project. It is incomplete to spec a beam without detailing the methods of connection, the post supports, and the support bases for the posts. You certainly should not be in the uncomfortable position of asking for help on a major structural question from an internet chat forum when you already hired and presumably paid a structural engineer to solve your problem.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (09-15-2013), woodworkbykirk (09-15-2013)
Old 09-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I recommend you contact your structural engineer and ask him to complete the project. It is incomplete to spec a beam without detailing the methods of connection, the post supports, and the support bases for the posts. You certainly should not be in the uncomfortable position of asking for help on a major structural question from an internet chat forum when you already hired and presumably paid a structural engineer to solve your problem.

Well said!
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Just to give yall an update on this, i DID call the structuarl engineer back out and found out that one king stud is directly on a pier and support(yay!) and the other is right above a beam, so sandwiched between 2- 2X6 running from the two joists on either side of it and im good to go! He DID charge me though...

PLEASE read my porch problem thread and share your thoughts on that as well! Ive got joists running the wrong way and need some info on how to better support them or rerun my joists the other direction.
THANK YOU!
rlc05n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beam , header , removing wall , supports crawlspace