Can I Use A Tile Saw To Cut Field Stone? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

can I use a tile saw to cut field stone?

pretty straight forward, can I use a tile saw sold to cut tile for tile floors to cut field stone I want to use to put on the face of a retaining wall outside?

Advertisement

MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Depends on the size of the stones and whether or not they will clear the saws apparatus. But YES. The diamond blade will work but truthfully stones will bind quickly and ruin diamond blades quickly. The larger the blade the better I think.

Advertisement

user1007 (12-30-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 06:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

is there a better way to cut field stones? I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pallet of field stone left from an earlier project and I was thinking I'd turn a retaining wall that is currently stacked 4x4's into cinder block with field stone cemented facade.
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would trust Bud's advice on this. Make sure the variable (I assume) thickness of the stone will clear the tile saw apparatus before you even start. And do plan on buying a stack of diamond tip blades. If you can measure ahead of time you might check with your local marble, granite, etc. stone shop to see what they would charge to trim out the material for you?

By the way, if the material is not reasonably flat surfaced at least on the side you plan to put vertically on the retaining wall or try to move through the tile saw it might not be the greatest choice. It will bind on you and warp the saw blades.

You will want your mortar work to be dead on in any event. If any moisture gets in behind it and freezes you will have a mess in short order and will be constantly repairing the facing to the retaining wall. IMO. Where are you by the way? You might want to update your profile to include at least basic geographic location.

Masons or tile guys like Bud will have better advice than me which is why I hire them for projects.

Last edited by user1007; 12-30-2011 at 06:48 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLMIB View Post
is there a better way to cut field stones? I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of a pallet of field stone left from an earlier project and I was thinking I'd turn a retaining wall that is currently stacked 4x4's into cinder block with field stone cemented facade.

Gas powered cut-off saw with a diamond blade would make short work of it.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Ayuh,.... Yer gonna need 1 of these to cut stones of any size....
A Brick Saw....

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,194

You may want to consider building a dry stack stone wall with the stones you have, rather than cutting them. There are thousands of miles of dry stack walls in New England where I live, they last hundreds of years, do not require mortar. Of course you have to know something about wall building, but there are lots of books on the subject, and it is a pretty fascinating activity. My wife has built about 75 feet of such walls in our backyard using stones we have laying about, they look great, and require no additional material beyond the stone. I have a hard time making stone walls, there is a lot of art and feel to it, and not everyone gets it.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote