Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I take out a load bearing wall (kitchen -living room) and use a 22 foot using 10 inch x 5/8s plate stell with 7 inch flange on bottom

i have a modular home with two half trusses being supported in the center by a wall with an archway. I would like to weld a 7 inch flange on the bottom of a vertical steel plate (custom welded by certified welder). there is room for the plate tobe lifted into the 1 inch space between the two half trusses with the bottom of the trusses then being supported by the flange. The engineered wood beam is large and unattractive with a deflection over 22 feet of .9ft.. The rafters support only the roof(24 ft wide) and the weight used for wood beam wasdead 1565#, live1269# and snow 4314#. will this work? What will be the deflection?

allanearle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Can I take out a load bearing wall (kitchen -living room) and use a 22 foot using 10 inch x 5/8s plate stell with 7 inch flange on bottom

a picture is worth 1000 words

illnastyimpreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Think of it this way. If the halves ever had to be separated, the changes you make, will not allow it to happen. Also keep in mind, that most modular homes are built with 2x3's along the inner wall for the two halves, which in turn, you get a 2x6 wall or just a 2x3 wall down the middle, depending on where the opening is.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote