Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #1

Share |

Can I set my A/C condensor on top of a brick patio?

Also, can I use my electric miter saw to cut paver bricks? I have a 10" craftsman miter saw and I've heard that you can purchase diamond blades for them to cut tile, stone, brick, etc. Thanks!

Jesse

jpearson311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #2

If the brick patio is solid and very stable then yes. If the patio is just brick over soil or sand then no. You could remove the bricks where the unit is to be placed and pour 3.5" concrete in it's place.

You could put a concrete bit on you're miter saw for a dry cut, but it's going to be really hard on the motor, so make sure you're mitre saw it top notch and go slow.

Houston_Bldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston_Bldr View Post
If the brick patio is solid and very stable then yes. If the patio is just brick over soil or sand then no. You could remove the bricks where the unit is to be placed and pour 3.5" concrete in it's place.

You could put a concrete bit on you're miter saw for a dry cut, but it's going to be really hard on the motor, so make sure you're mitre saw it top notch and go slow.
Ok, wells that's discouraging because I only have a 10" craftsman and it's not the pro model. For the patio, the surface under the bricks is going to be crushed rock and stone dust. The stone dust should harden or? Thus making it ok for the A/C unit?

Jesse
Old 04-28-2010, 07:30 AM   #4

No, the fan on the condenser spins at a high rate of speed and will put a lot of torque on the floor it's attached to. If it's not attached to a solid, and continous base, then you will have problems with the unit wanting to walk.

They make a 10 or 12" concrete blade that fits a circle saw. We use those all the time. Burned up my helpers Ryobi last week though
Houston_Bldr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Houston_Bldr For This Useful Post:
jpearson311 (04-28-2010)
Old 04-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

There are available pre-cast concrete bases for this application. Remove the sod from the appropriate area, then pack smooth and level, and place the base. Done.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
There are available pre-cast concrete bases for this application. Remove the sod from the appropriate area, then pack smooth and level, and place the base. Done.
There is already one under neath it now. I'm wondering if I can just temporarily remove it, dig it out for the patio, put it back and then build the patio around it? Makes sense to me.

Jesse