Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
JPM
Bill Traver

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can I replace rotted sheathing section by section?

I have a rental property and am a bit tight on funds so am considering doing this job myself (with a helper)...

The house is an older shore property in Jersey. Two story with standard vinyl siding. There is a section where the vinyl was torn and prior owner only covered with another piece of vinyl. So today I finally got up there to check and the sheathing also has some damage and holes. I went a bit further with my inspection because there was some "loose vinyl" about 8 feet to the right. When I looked under it, I found some rotted sheathing ...

Not sure the extent of this damage (framing maybe?). Old leak I think since it was dry and there is a new roof and gutter.

What I would like to do is do it a section or two at a time. Pull the vinyl replace/repair as necessary and move on ... was thinking that it could get done in 4 or 8 foot sections to match up putting up new sheathing ... is it possible to work down the side of the house over a couple of days or do I need a different approach?

thanks,

JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Some idea about why the sheathing went bad would be the key to getting a good idea.

Siding is not water proof and must have tar paper or Tyvek under it to channel off the water that gets behind it.

What's there now?

Old 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
JPM
Bill Traver

Ha !! The last guy was one of those cheapo landlords, cut huge corners and wrapped the new siding over old lapboard....so I do not think anything is there ... eventually, I would like to do the property right but need to get going with fixing major issues first.

Water damage from a bad gutter/roof caused the original water damage. At the top most level of siding, I can pullout and see the water trail/stain area .. it looks like it stops about 2-4 feet in either direction but not 100% confident about that. I need to pull more off to check, but believe that the issue with the old gutter was from this point to the downspout location about 15 feet away.

My goal is secure the vinyl now with some temp repair to area, repair where sheathing is bad, save a few scheckles and re-do the whole property in the Spring with tyvek and maybe new vinyl..... brings up another point ... could I just pull of siding and put on tyvek where sheathing looks okay?

Ughh ... always more questions as I progress.

Thanks for answering!
Old 08-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
JPM
Bill Traver

One point of clarity ... the old siding is not everywhere ... some places new sheathing and some places it looks like there is some type of sheathing underneath the old board??? Not sure if I am seeing that correct, have not wanted to really pull off siding to explore.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

It sounds like the siding needs to be removed--the sheathing fixed and Tyvek installed---Tyvek is expensive---so using it on a temporary fix is a waste of money.

Post some pictures---I'm not a great outside of the house guy---insides are my specialty---

Pictures always get good answers-----Mike----