Can I Replace 5/4x6x16 By 2x6x16 ? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can i replace 5/4x6x16 by 2x6x16 ?

i want to replace my decking boards due to weathered on my old decking boards(look very bad ) My old decking boards size are 5/4x6x16. I don't know if i can use 2x6x16 treated decking boards to replace for them or not, seem like 2x6x16 are heavy.Any advice. And one more thing, any one here has experience to use treated decking boards at Lowes or Homedepot ? I read the reviews of customers ,they are not very good .
And what is the different between Standard treated lumber and Premium treated lumber
http://www.lowes.com/LowesProductCom...ct_price%257C0

Advertisement

boy_gameover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

I think you have come to the right place for deck advice. There are a lot of people that could help you with this project on this site.

For starters, pressure treated lumbers are just that - pressure treated lumbers. In the yester-years, treated lumbers were applied with chemicals that are no longer legal by the definitions of the law makers (i.e. o-zone friendl-ness). As this technology modernized, the modern process to pressure treat lumber materials has become more complex only to allow non-harmful, o-zone friendly, and faster "curing/drying" "chemicals" be applied to the lumbers themselves. (Some P/T lumbers can now be painted without the "30/60/90 day drying period)

In the region I reside, Souther Pine is the common and used for much of the building projects. And no matter HOW they are pressure treated, the grade of lumber stays the same. You just have to do your own research to understand what is available in your region.

As to your intent of your thread and topic, there is definitely a difference in the "finish" (or smoothness) between the 5/4's and 2x's. More importantly, the 5/4's cost more than the regular 2x's per lineal foot. I have seen decks with one or the other installed. And at the end of the day, I believe it's a matter of preference. Some may prefer, for an example, the 2x's to strengthen the overall deck structure, while others may prefer the 5/4's because they want the "smoothness" on their bare feet and to their eyes.

I hope this helps you get closer to satisfying your research...

Advertisement

Last edited by oodssoo; 10-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

I personaly see nothing to be gained by using 2 X 6's unless you plan on adding some heavy loading on top of it. Same pressure treating, same wood under it.
Prime is just less bark showing. Just hand pick your boards for the best ones and save the money.
One that I have used and liked is Thompsonized and another one that begins with a W I'll see if I can find it. The differance is it was kiln dryed after treatment. It did not shrink, cup or split like reguler pressure treated does.
Good luck trying to find good pressure treated wood, grade 2 is grade 2 no matter where you buy it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodssoo View Post
there is definitely a difference in the "finish" (or smoothness) between the 5/4's and 2x's. More importantly, the 5/4's cost more than the regular 2x's per lineal foot.
Must be one of them regional things.

How is it that less of the same wood cost more?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Must be one of them regional things.

How is it that less of the same wood cost more?
A finer finish = Cost more
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 236

I would not buy dog house lumber from lowes or home depot its junk.I stopped going when i had to go thru 20+ 2x4's to get 10.Support your local lumber yard
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

As a contractor, and what I use on my decks is the 5/4 PT (Pressure Treated) material for flooring but recently have noticed the quality is getting worse, not that it was ever really that great to start with. PT lumber as well as most 2-by framing materials are cut from the pith (Centre) of the tree, and is the lumber mills way of utilizing ever morsil of the tree log. I am not certain but believe that 5/4 decking material was only introduced or became popular in the last 10-12 years, and when you go to your local building box store and see this 5/4 material for deck flooring that thought of using a 2" x 6" is not really ever considered. If you look at the end grain of a PT 5/4 board you can see by the grain rings that it is in fact cut from the tree center and because the center rings are at there smallest they will sometimes pop or seperate causing the look of a split board on your new deck floor. It makes for an eye sore and these suckers can also be sharp, not a great feeling when bare foot on your deck and you happen to catch one of these. 5/4 material measures 1-1/8" thick as a 2" x 6" measures 1-1/2" decreasing the liklyness of this happening, and I just find the 2"x6" material to have a smoother and cleaner look and feel. As far as a cost difference goes the $$ difference will not make or break the project and at the end of the day you are left with a thicker more solid flooring material. One last thing to share that is important and not usally considered when purchasing PT lumber for your exterior project and that is where box stores store these products, inside or outside. PT wood is not kiln dried so the moisture content is high. Most of us will take the time when purchasing lumber to hand select and sort through many boards in hope to find something that is not the shape of a question mark or damaged is any way. Do you ever notice when doing so that 1 board can feel as thought it is 10-15lbs heavier than the next even thought it is the same material? So when PT lumber is stored indoors it will naturally start to dry out and in many cases warp and bend so I always purchase lumber where the PT is stored out doors. It does not make sence for an exterior lumber that is produced as wet or green lumber to be stored indoors alowing it to dry so when it is purchased and used for our exterior projects and brought back out into our naturally wet exterior environments to only absorbe moisture. You will have better reuslts and an easier time when sorting through and selecting PT lumber that is straight and true when purchased from outdoor lumber yards!
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_gameover View Post
i want to replace my decking boards due to weathered on my old decking boards(look very bad ) My old decking boards size are 5/4x6x16. I don't know if i can use 2x6x16 treated decking boards to replace for them or not, seem like 2x6x16 are heavy.Any advice. And one more thing, any one here has experience to use treated decking boards at Lowes or Homedepot ? I read the reviews of customers ,they are not very good .
And what is the different between Standard treated lumber and Premium treated lumber
http://www.lowes.com/LowesProductCom...ct_price%257C0

One thing to consider that has not been mentioned, will the frame of the deck hold up to another round of pt decking going bad over time. that is always an issue with re skinning an existing deck.
The only wear you usually see on a deck plank is on top where the sun beats down on it so a 5/4 board or 2x decking will get the weathered look all the same but the 2x would be a stronger decking in general.
Also, give a call to your local lumber supplier (building supply) and ask for pressure treated dry lumber, it is not as wet as the standard PT lumber.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
DIY or die !

Rewards Points: 75

my father is law thought I was NUTS using 5/4 boards. He has been using 2x6 regular PT for decking boards for 25 years ! AND it also COSTS LESS !!!
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #10

Damn. I just started pulling up the deck boards. It's too hard to pull up. I thought that it was easy to pull the boards up, but it's not. Absolutely, who ever built my deck, they used both nails and screws. The nails were ok, but screws were . I used my power drill driver to reverse them first then pull the boards up but some came up, some not. I also damaged the deck joists ( pull the deck boards while screws still in there ,because they was sinked under the old paint, i could not see it). I need the advice to reuse joists or not. i will take the pictures then upload here tomorow , let u guys see and give me some advices .I just bought house last year, so learn how to DIY
Old 10-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Maybe you should consider starting from scratch if you are now going to be replacing the joists? If you are laying a new floor over a compromised or weathered deck frame It will not matter what new flooring material you decide on, as they will only last as long as your existing deck will support.
Hardwood Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy_gameover View Post
Damn. I just started pulling up the deck boards. It's too hard to pull up. I thought that it was easy to pull the boards up, but it's not.
They don't have to be hard to pull up. Ya just need to outsmart them.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
One that I have used and liked is Thompsonized and another one that begins with a W I'll see if I can find it.
I believe you're thinking of "Wolmanized" lumber.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #14

Hey guys !Yesterday i ordered 18 pieces Pt lumber 2x6x16 from Lowes. They were too long for the truck's bed .The guys at Lowes told me buy rachet tie down. After all, i drove home , when i almost reached to my house about 600 yards, the lumber slipped out. Fotunately, no1 got hit, then there was 2 stranger white guy helped me out (thanks them ) .When i got home i realize the lumbers are real wet and heavy, some pieces are dried not heavy. I don't know if my old deck can hold them or not ( i feel that ). I think the reason that beause the distance from the wall to the beam is far, check this pic

i fear that is not good .So can i add some post and cross bar to support my deck . Like this pic

I will use the 4x4x12 for the cross bar and 4x6x10 (deck high 9 foots) for the posts. Or any idea from you guy

Also, the guy at Lowes told me that i don't have to leave a gap between 2 deck boards, he said they will shrink by time. Is that true ? Also i went to Homedepot last evening, they have these lumber . Can i use these for decking
Well !too many questions Sorry , hope people understand me .
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...0&N=5yc1vZc3tc

And here are some pics from my deck when i pulled deck boards out

deck board damaged

Joist damaged after pulling nails and crews

From bottom

From top

from back

Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

the deck looks fine to hold the decking. did the floor bounce when the old decking was down? the one issue I see is the post on the stair landing looks quite crooked and in need of vertical adjustment,must have banged into it with the lawn mower hopefully they cantilevered correctly with the house floor joists so that the attachment to the deck is correct over where the house bumps out with a bay window. be sure the deck flashes correctly at the brick wall as well...

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote