Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #1

Share |

can i remove cross beams from my garage?

hello,
i have a 20x20 garage built in the 60's with a vaulted ceiling.
the walls are 2x4x10, spaced at 16"
the roof is made of 2x8's, vaulting 3.5 feet up to the center of the room on 3 sides, and on the 4th side, the roof attaches directly to the side of the house.

i want to drywall the room and make it look like a finished space. to do so, i want to remove as many cross beams as i can. it seems that some of them are not structurally necessary, but were used in the erection of the structure.

there are long flimsy 1x6 boards running from corner to corner, like a big x.
on top of those there are 2x4's running parallel to the floor, and on the same line as the joists, connecting the each pair at the point where the wall meets the roof.
and ontop of these crossbeams is a 2x8 running perpendicular to the 2x4's from one end of the garage, all the way INTO the wall of the house.

are these three different types of cross beams necessary? i've seen many old garages built like this, but i've also seen ones that don't have any of the cross beams.

my feeling was that the x going from corner to corner could be removed and the 2x8 could be removed, if i leave the 2x4's. the 2x4's will hold the top of the walls and the base of the vaulted roof in -

but the 1x6 x going from corner to corner and the 2x8 connecting the 2x4's don't seem to be doing anything.

i know this must be hard to imagine. hopefully i have described it adequately. i'd like to hear opinions about weather or not i can safely remove some of this wood and make a nicer looking room

thanks
max

maxslomoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Tileguy

Post a picture.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Post photos of the interior structure and a few shots of the extrerior. It's much easier to see it.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Yes it is hard to imagine, and yes the previous posters got it right, you need to post pictures. You also need to tell us your location, as the snow load (if any) makes a big difference in what type of framing is necessary.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Too Old

It's been standing like it is for 50+ years and you want to change the flimsy supports?? Pictures would be nice but where do you live? It sounds like you need to have someone come out and take a look at what you want to do.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

wow cool!
i didn't know i could do that.
hope this makes it much easier to understand...

Last edited by maxslomoff; 09-25-2011 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
journeyman carpenter

if you dont know much about structure, dont start cutting at any structure. contact a local contractor or a engineer and tell them what you plan on doing. they can tell you what you can or cant do. or post a picture i can probably tell you within a minute or two what you have there
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxslomoff View Post
wow cool!
i didn't know i could do that.
hope this makes it much easier to understand...
Oh lookie, it is those new type of photos. Sorry max, but our crystal balls are not working tonight. Please attach photos as previously requested.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Those corner to corner 1x6's are usually there to brace the bottom of the ceiling and keep it rigid and structurally sound. Even though they are long, they are usually nailed periodically and that does wonders for stability.

The same method is sometimes used on the bottom of decks to increase the stability and bracing.

Without seeing you situation, the only thing you will give some generalities based on what other have seen or experienced so a professional personal view is required.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-25-2011 at 09:24 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

I can't quite picture what you are talking about.

The only time I would ever mess with existing structural elements is to make the building stronger.
replacing 1x6s with sheeting would be stronger in general. you better also look at building codes too. It would really suck if you had to tear down your remodeling to pas an inspection when you went to do something down the line.

Last edited by forresth; 09-25-2011 at 10:59 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:43 PM   #11

hm
hope this works for my picture uploading
Attached Thumbnails
can i remove cross beams from my garage?-roof-supports.jpg  
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #12

oh great!
so here's the roof design.

the goal is to sheetrock this room and maintain some of the vaulted ceiling look if possible.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
JOATMON

I know exactly what he is talking about.....that was exactly how my garage 'used' to look.

Basically, they used 2x6's nailed from one corner to the oposite corner which gives you the big X he is talking about. This was done so as to keep the garage 'square'. Then they ran 2x4's from one wall to the next....this kept the walls from pushing out. Kind of like a cheap truss....minus any of the other members.

Then the roof was basically just up there....no truss members....no connections between the roof and the cross members....

I think I have a pic of my old garage somewhere.....

But I can understand why he thinks the 2x6's are not needed.....I actually took mine out....but added more 2x4's across the garage and installed OSB sheathing on top of the 2x4's for storage...oh, and ran a couple of 2x4's up to the roof to create a truss.

My 'assumption' with the OSB sheathing was that it was performing the same function as the big X made out of 2x6's.

When I demo'd the garage a couple of years ago....she did not go down without a fight....no lack of strength......click on the link in my sig and you will see some of the demo pics....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:08 AM   #14

here's another angle
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #15

I wouldn't in your shoes.

that roof design will tend to spread in 2 directions, and you've got a bunch of electrical up there too.

looks like a prime case for a drop ceiling. It well help insulate too.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote