Can I Put Old Removed Wood Paneling Over Joist In Attic - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I put old removed wood paneling over joist in attic

I'm going to be remodeling my house, and I plan on removing the wood paneling which is only in my living room and dining room. It's 3/4" paneling from 1951. I was planning on buying maybe a dozen plywood sheets to place over some of the areas in my unfinished attic so I could use it for storage space. Instead, can I just recycle the 600sqft of wood paneling I will be removing and lay them over the joists? Is it a bad idea, and why? Maybe I should double up (crisscross) the paneling because they are grooved and might not be able to support people walking on it? Or would that cause a problem because the joist may not be able to support double wood paneling plus the walking on top of every now and then? Any input would be great. Thanks.

Advertisement

timmay_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay_8 View Post
I'm going to be remodeling my house, and I plan on removing the wood paneling which is only in my living room and dining room. It's 3/4" paneling from 1951. I was planning on buying maybe a dozen plywood sheets to place over some of the areas in my unfinished attic so I could use it for storage space. Instead, can I just recycle the 600sqft of wood paneling I will be removing and lay them over the joists? Is it a bad idea, and why? Maybe I should double up (crisscross) the paneling because they are grooved and might not be able to support people walking on it? Or would that cause a problem because the joist may not be able to support double wood paneling plus the walking on top of every now and then? Any input would be great. Thanks.
I would think it would be OK if you put the grooves perpedicular to the joists.. It is 3/4"?

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

The old panelling is 3/4" thick? Really? Check it again. That's kind of curious.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I just double checked. Actually I popped off a few power outlets from a few different areas to measure the thickness, and I measured through a hole that was drilled for a cable from the satellite. A member of another forum made a good point, that if the grooves were 1/4" deep it would be like having 1/2" plywood maybe better. I measured the grooves because it "looked" like 1/2" deep, but they all measured around 1/4" except for where they butted together the pieces... but that's where the paneling piece ends. Is 3/4" abnormally thick? If so, it goes along with the rest of the house. There was about 1/2" of old school plaster over 1/2 drywall boards. Well I can't remember if the inner walls (whatever the term is for walls between rooms) had drywall then plaster, it could have been like 3/4" of plaster. But the walls that are the perimeter definitely had 1/2" drywall with 1/2"+ of plaster.
timmay_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

that drywall looking stuff is probably 'rock lath'. Used in 50's plus or minus some years. After they quit using wooden laths and before 'drywall' became the norm. Back when plastering was its own trade.

the 3/4 paneling is probably exterior siding somebody liked the look of . Back in that era probably stained dark brown to black as dark colors were norm. Had some of that as interior paneling once.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

3/4" thick T&G is pretty decent wood. If it's in good shape, you might be able to sell it, and get more than enough to buy some MDF to throw in the attic. Then again, it might not be possible to pull it down without destroying the tongues.

FWIW, I took all the plywood out of my attic so I could have insulation blown over the joists.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #7
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quite possibly, maybe even probably, your attic area that does not already have any deck material on it was never engineered to have any sort of decking (read plywood) for storage.

You could put 1/8" paneling or 1-1/8" T&G up there but that doesn't mean it is going to be safe or to code.

Hire a design professional to help you make a determination on this, is my recommendation.

Andy.

Advertisement

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote