Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I put a 19' semi-supporting beam to carry 26' ceiling

We have a 150 +/- year old farm house. We have taken out a supporting wall to make kitchen bigger. I need to know if we can put up a 19' beam to help support the hand-hued joists in the ceiling. The room is 26'x19' the trusses are sitting on the still existing outside walls, but the wall we took out came in 6' from this side. We only need the beam to help support the joists from sagging into the home. Can someone please help? What size of beam would do this application to please?

cissy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

The beam size you need is based on the load it will carry. This requires an onsite inspection.
This is something you do BEFORE the wall is removed.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

I don't believe it will be carrying much as the hand-hued joists on 4' centres extends from one side to the other sitting on the existing outside walls, it is 6' in from the outside wall. We just need it to make sure these joists don't sag. Thanks for your help
Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cissy1967 View Post
I don't believe it will be carrying much as the hand-hued joists on 4' centres extends from one side to the other sitting on the existing outside walls, it is 6' in from the outside wall. We just need it to make sure these joists don't sag. Thanks for your help
Take a few photos and explain what's above this space.
Ron
Old 10-16-2010, 11:57 AM   #5

Hello, tried to upload pics but it states to file to big, how would you like me to send them. The pics show where we have a temp beam with two posts. There is only a small attic space above the beam.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cissy1967 View Post
Hello, tried to upload pics but it states to file to big, how would you like me to send them. The pics show where we have a temp beam with two posts. There is only a small attic space above the beam.
There's directions at the top of this forum for posting pictures. You need to reduce the picture size.
Ron
Old 10-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #7

Hello I have to leave will be back on later, what time will you be around later? Also, I have tried to resize but for some reason it won't let me, I will keep trying. Thank you
Old 10-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #8

Hello Photos are now uploaded under photos.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

I did not see the photos, but regardless. If I understand your post correctly, you had a 26 foot span with a bearing wall at the 20 foot point. You removed the bearing wall, thus increasing the effective span of the beam from 20 feet +/- to 26 feet. You are now concerned that the increase in span may cause sag on the 19 foot long joists that run perpendicular to the 26 foot beams that you state are "hand hued" and spaced 4 feet on center. You ask if you can install a 19 foot beam to help support the joists.

The short answer is of course, you can always install a beam. Whether it will solve your problem is a much more difficult question. An increase in span from 20 to 26 feet is significant, and will result in an increase in the maximum bending moment which typically occurs at approximately the center of the beam. If the bending moment exceeds the maximum allowable stress on the beam, it will fail, which may take the form of excess deflection, or possibly collapse. Your idea of installing a beam (in this case a header) to replace the wall is good, however the design of such a structural element typically requires a thorough analysis of all the loads bearing on the beam, and requires careful design of connections to carry the load to the foundation.

This cannot be done over the internet, it requires a hands on inspection by a professional who understands loads and structural design (typically an architect or engineer). It is also typically required in order to obtain a building permit, which I strongly urge you to do, since removal of a major bearing wall can lead to catastrophic failure, and such an operation should be reviewed by the local code enforcement official.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #10

The joists are 26' on 4' centres, the wall that was removed ran 19' to support the joists. We would like to build a beam to compensate for the wall, so that the joists do not bow. I hope you do look at the photos, they are under photos at the top of the page call Kitchen Beam. I hope this helps.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

Seeing the type of beams you have just reinforces the advice given. The collective weight of the beams is significant.
Ron
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

At the moment, the patient is on the operating table, the incision has been made, and there's a clamp on the vein. In order to make sure the patient recovers, you need to have someone come to your house and provide you a solution. This cannot be done in a forum over the internet with two photographs. That's not how the process works, particularly with older timber structures. My advice is if you're not going to go the route of calling someone and getting this designed properly, or you're not getting a permit, then you should put the wall back up.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote