Can I Make This A Room With A Bath? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I make this a room with a bath?

So I am looking at a house and I noticed this area that I would love to be able to turn into a master bedroom and bath. Just wondering if it can actually be done or not. The area is next to the laundry room and the kitchen, so I heard that is good as far as getting to the plumbing. So take a look at this video. It's the carport/storage area that I want to remove and enclose into a room.

If you guys think it could be done, how big of a job is it? Price? Time?

Thanks for any help.

Advertisement

Last edited by diydog; 11-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.
diydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,502

Why not just post the MLS photos from the listing. How many square feet is the home? What does your local county state, when you asked them about this?

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #3

Well, there are no good MLS pictures of that space that I want to change. I know other houses in the area have done it, so I know it is legal and allowed, you just have to get the permits, but those houses might not have been the exact layout that this one is. So I was just looking for some input on this one. I was hoping it was something that an expert could look at briefly and say, "Yeah, that could definitely be done" or "No, you can't do it". The house is 1100 square feet.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

If you are talking about that Carport, or little shed/outbuilding, there is no way that you would be able to just turn it into a habitable space as is. Again, you are going to have to contact your local code office, and also have pictures, not some shaky video, along with a set of drawings and plan, before they can tell you anything.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #5

Yes, that is what I am talking about. That little shed thing would be removed of course.

The video isn't great because I wasn't planning on using that video for this purpose. I just thought of this question and the video is all I could use to show you guys.

And yes, I would have it done all to code with permits and everything. I was just wondering if could be done. I wouldn't be doing the work by the way.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Cannot tell you that, due to that is something you are going to have to discuss with an architect, and then take the plans to be okay'd by your local permit office, before you can do it.

It can be done, but again, you need to have building plans drawn up, and then secure the permits. The big question is if that city will even allow it, especially if there is a set back, involved, etc..

Start talking to your local building permit office.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
diydog (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 664

More often then not it makes more since, cheaper, less stress to find to find a home that's already got all the major rooms and number of rooms on your wish list.
A simple bathroom addition and bed room can be an easy $30,000.
If that house is on a septic the county and health department is going to be all over it and may call for a whole new septic system.
Really want the house, only way to know what it would cost for the up grades is to get some local quotes from contractors. Anything on the net will just be guesses.
I see you did not add your location to your profile. That makes it impossible to even post prices per sq. foot guesses. A huge difference in labor rates, material cost, permit cost depending on where on the planet you happen to be.
diydog (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

I just got sick, watching that video. Videos are not that helpful, when asking questions, so it is always best to post pictures showing a wide angle, not a video of what appears to be someone on a run through some place.
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
diydog (11-22-2013)
Old 11-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #9

Ok guys, thanks for the input and help. I guess I just need to have someone come over and really look at it. I'm not that optimistic anymore. I guess this is a pretty big and complicated job.

Advertisement