Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can I build up a sill ledge with concrete ?

The problem:
Previous owners had driveway redone at wrong pitch causing water to flow into garage on heavy rains ( KC area = heavy rain sometimes )
Current sill plate is now rotten.

Proposed solution:
As the garage sill I am mentioning consists of three areas ( 2 sides and a middle between doors )
And I cannot immediately correct the driveway ( for a few more years anyway )
Why not build a concrete footer the entire width of the garage area ( apx. 24 feet ) say 4" high as a sill to lay a pressure treated sill plate on top of ? No more water on the sill plate no more problems, right ?

I do realize this entails supporting the structure while the repairs are made, this goes hand in hand with raising the wall to original height to reinstall new sills anyway.
Some of the vertical studs have water damage at the bottoms anyway, and need to be scabbed or replaced. ( Advice on replacing vs. scabbing also would be helpful.)

Also the front of the garage and house are single wythe brick veneer which shows a slight bow due to the house structure growing shorter and the brick staying the same height. I will mention in case of misunderstanding, that the water does not come through the brick, but from under the garage doors wetting the garage floor which is what the current sill plate sits on.

Concrete should be plenty strong for the the studs which support the second story, the brick is independently supported and is only tied into the wood frame with now rusting bent nails ( A whole different bunch of questions I will ask later )

Any help or comments appreciated - I have read alot of stuff here but never posted.
Thanks in advance!

Wirehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:08 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Couple of thoughts ... Perhaps consider a drainage ditch with grate cover in front of the garage so the sloped in driveway is not a problem. Quite possibly less work than complete new graded driveway. Lots of these around here as hills and slopes everywhere

Back to the rotten sill plate ...
Is your wood sill already elevated on a foundation wall or is the sill sat on a slab ... Missed if our already said?
I assume the sill plate is attached to plywood or similar sheathing on the side of the garage ... Is that correct?

Pictures would really help.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzai For This Useful Post:
dalepres (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #3

Will get some pics later today if possible.

The sill plate is directly on the garage floor
( which I possibly incorrectly called a slab, it's flat, but is actually the part of the foundation )
which is at more or less the same elevation as the end of the driveway, which is more or less the same elevation as the yard.

Yes pics would help a bunch.
I'm on it...

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Renovations contractor

If I understand correctly the wooden sill plate sits adjacent to the garden at the same level as the soil or whatever you have there? If it isn't getting wet from a flood in to the garage it will certainly rot from water getting at it from the outside. Was the garage once a car port by any chance? I would be astonished if it was built that way from the start when the house was built as a very elementary mistake not to built a curb wall. Does your siding go right to the ground or are you stucco on outside?
Old 06-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Pics are worth ...

And yes, I do promise not to make my house as ugly as my mower.
Attached Thumbnails
Can I build up a sill ledge with concrete ?-img_6192.jpg   Can I build up a sill ledge with concrete ?-img_6206.jpg   Can I build up a sill ledge with concrete ?-img_6218.jpg  
Old 06-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
Renovations contractor

As I feared ... Someone didn't know how to build an exterior wall.

Basic steps:

1. Temp support wall
2. Remove existing exterior framing, siding, etc
3. Create a form where the new curb wall should be, epoxy rebar rods in to existing slab and wire between
4. Pour concrete for new curb (I usually do 8" height by 8" width but check local code)
5. Reframe wall on new curb ... With sill gasket under bottom sill (2x6 framing is code here for exterior walls)
6. Use anchor bolts or similar to attach sill to curb. I personally like the wedge anchors.
7. Sheathing, building wrap, siding or whatever
8. Insulation, vapor barrier, drywall or whatever
9. Remove temp wall and open beer!!

Not saying this is the only way but based on what you've said probably what I would do.