Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #1

Share |

Can I attach 2x6 direct to outside concrete?

Hi folks. We are going to turn our porch in to an extra bedroom. It's underneath the main roof and it's concrete. We will have to build three walls. We were thinking that we had to use two layers of cement blocks on the walls bottom because the wind will probably blow rain against it. We figured that if we tried to attach a 2x6 directly to the concrete that water might get under it or it could rot or something. Is this correct, or is there a way to properly seal the bottom of the 2x6 so that water would not leak under and the 2x6 wouldn't rot? Should we just mortar down cement block two high and then build the wood wall up from there? If we could actually just build our wall with all wood it would be cheaper and easier. I hope someone can tell me there is some kind of seal or felt paper that we could put between the 2x6 and concrete porch that would assure no water gets underneath and no rot would happen. I dread having to lay block, but if it has to be that way then it does.

Thanks for any help

Mrmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #2

No, never a good idea to attach wood, even pressure-treated, directly to concrete, especially not outdoors. Put a foam membrane between the two, at least, then protect the outside with appropriate flashing.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #3

if you could post a rough drawing (side view)of your wall typical

does the wall go to the edge of the concrete slab? Are the walls to be built load bearing?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Whatamess

Post pictures will help. If you do it correctly your siding will overlap the 2X nailer and edge to stop rain. Why do you want to use 2x6's insulation?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #5

Hi. The concrete goes to the edge of the driveway, which is black top. The porch is under the main roof of the house on one end. Three walls will enclose it to the end of the house. The druveway is straight out from the porch on the end of the house. There are already metal posts as the load bearing part. We were going to simply build wood around the posts and make it part of the wall. So the part we are building won't be holding anything up. The walls will just make the bedroom space, that's all. We will frame two windows in. as for using 2x6, we thought the bottom plate, (sill plate?) was supposed to be 2x6 and then the stud would be 2x4 inset to the inner edge. inset.

We figured put the block down two high, then attach a 2x6 flat on top of the blocks, (ancor bolts?) to the outer edge of the block. Then, take a 2x4 set it on it's edge to the outside edge of the 2x6. That would leave the four inches of the 2x6 inside and the studs should fit exactly flush to the inner edge of the 2x6, is this right?

If I can use wood to do it, we would do the same thing just without the block. 2x6 directly on concrete porch edge for the wall, 2x4 on edge to outside of 2x6, studs to the inside should fill up the rest of the four inches. Fill with insulation and put plywood on the studs to the outside, vapor barrier on the outside of the ply wood and add siding, then drywall on the studs in the inside. I guess there will be an inside lip of the cement blocks. I can't remember how wide standard cement blocks are, but that shouldn't hurt anything, would it? or maybe I can find cement block exactly as wide as a 2x6 and then the entire thing would fit flush.

So I was trying to ask if I could just attach the 2x6 treated plank right down on the concrete edge of the porch and make my wall with it as the bootm plate. I was hoping there would be a material of adhesive that would seal the connection of the 2x6 and keep water out from under it and the porch floor, and was hoping the 2x6 wouldn't rot. The siding, as someone said, would come out over the board since it would be attached to the plywood on the outside, but rain still might some how get to that board on the bottom and rot it.

I just need to know can I use the 2x6 attached directly to the porch concrete floor as the base for an outside wall.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Whatamess

yes but use PT and you may want to caulk it to keep bugs out. I would use expanding concrete bolts.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #7

Should i use a nice layer of construction adhesive on the bottom of the 2x6 to make sure I get a good seal and that it sticks good? Also, how do you use the expanding bolts, how would I get one end in to the concrete floor?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
Whatamess

Hammer drill and use 5/16 or 3/8 inch bolts.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:38 AM   #9

http://www.pinkbuilder.ca/pdf/pub21.html
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmusic View Post
...We were thinking that we had to use two layers of cement blocks on the walls bottom because the wind will probably blow rain against it. We figured that if we tried to attach a 2x6 directly to the concrete that water might get under it or it could rot or something. Is this correct,...
If you have those weather issues in your region (Which I'm sure you do), then, yes, you figured correctly.

Quote:
or is there a way to properly seal the bottom of the 2x6 so that water would not leak under and the 2x6 wouldn't rot?
No. It is not so much about sealing the sole plate/mud sill, as it is the fact that, that area, would not be the only point where wind blown rain, torrential rain, storming-rain, etc...can enter into the structure. Irt can enter above that area too. Not to mention the likelyhood of moisture penetration and rot/decay.

Quote:
Should we just mortar down cement block two high and then build the wood wall up from there?
That sounds like a good start. You may (or may not) want to go higher (3', 4'), dependant on your annual weather conditions. Example: Torrential downpours can cause rain to "back-splash" up and against the lower areas of a home. Will 2 levels of block be enough protection from that and any pooling water?

Quote:
If we could actually just build our wall with all wood it would be cheaper and easier.
It will be cheaper, but it will be more expensive in the long run.
Building any kind of a structure is about "engineering". It's essentially, building the structure first in your head, and then, on paper, prior to the actual build. During this initial portion (process) of the work, you are designing, planning, thinking, calculating, trouble-shooting, considering the "what-ifs", etc... about how best to keep the structure up and sturdy, how best to keep water out, how to keep the interior dry.

In some regions the planning is also about how to keep cold air out, and warm are in.
It's planning, it's design, it's engineering. It is not guessing, it is not "rolling the dice"... You do what is the best method to do, what is the safest, and what you know is needed for your situation and area... Words to live by: NEVER cut corners.

Quote:
I hope someone can tell me there is some kind of seal or felt paper that we could put between the 2x6 and concrete porch that would assure no water gets underneath and no rot would happen.
No, sorry.

Quote:
I dread having to lay block, but if it has to be that way then it does.
Why not look around and find a masonry laborer, to come in and do the work, with you supplying the materials. It would be worth it. A structure is only as strong as it's foundation. I would suggest that you hire that portion of the work out.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-20-2008 at 06:59 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote