Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can Deck Posts be fixed to existing rock?

Hopefully, someone can give me some advice on this...

I am attempting to put a wooden Pergola over a portion of my existing deck. The header board will be attached to the house, and the posts would go into the ground just past the existing deck rail. Here is my problem:

My yard is build on an incline that has rock/granite just below the surface. I am unable to dig 36" as I hit live rock within 10". My building department suggests I drill into the existing rock 6" and put in (2) 1.5" Rhee-Bar posts, then pour 8" concrete over the Rhee-Bar. Finally, I should bold braces into the concrete footing and affix the posts to these braces. This seems a bit much to me for a non-weight-bearing structure (Pergola roof).

My question (long-winded) is as follows. Would it not be possible to bolt the posts directly into the existing rock/granite (pretty sturdy I would think), and if so, what type of bolt process would be required?

Any suggestions or insight is deeply appreciated. I feel as if the local building department is giving me the run-around and being a bit excessive.

Ken

drcieslak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

If you will require an inspection, you might be better off just doing what they want!

With that being said, you could use stainless wedge or sleeve anchosr to connect your mounting sleeves to the stone easily. You could also use an epoxy and stainless rod system. I would run any plans past them first. No point in incurring the expense and effort to do in a way that they won't approve anyway

Old 08-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Make your suggestions to the building inpector, but as Mr Chips said, they decide what's going to be done if you want to pass inspection.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I would dig down to the rock and drill and install a few re-bar as stated. build a cement forum and pour a footing pad on top of the rock. then fasten your girder on top of the pad with the proper fastener. just a thought. I am thinking that this rock is of some great size.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote