Can Anyone Recommend A Caulk/nail Filler For Azek That Won't Discolor? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Can anyone recommend a caulk/nail filler for Azek that won't discolor?

I recently installed Azek 1x4 trim around a few windows, and now I'm looking for something to fill the screw holes and seal the gap between the window and trim. The key here is that I want something that won't discolor, because I really don't want to paint the Azek.

For the holes, I was looking at TrimBonder. Has anyone used it? Home Depot now sells small tubes that fit in a standard caulk gun.

That might work for the holes, but I don't think I can use it to seal around the window. Any suggestions for caulk?

Thanks.

Advertisement

cumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Shameless bump ... suggestions, anyone?

On a related note, I went to a building supply place and they recommended a caulk called Duo-Sil for around the windows. They said it won't discolor, but I was hoping to get a second opinion from someone who has used it.

Also, for filling screw holes in the Azek, they recommended Bond & Fill. The only problem is that applicator tool is pretty expensive.

Has anyone used either of these, or the TrimBonder product that I mentioned in my initial post?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

What about a product called Quad I have used it before on trailer windows that were leaking. Works absolutely great. Menards handles it in several colors, also we have a Standard Lumber store here that also carries it in most of the colors.
merle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by merle View Post
What about a product called Quad I have used it before on trailer windows that were leaking. Works absolutely great. Menards handles it in several colors, also we have a Standard Lumber store here that also carries it in most of the colors.
Thanks merle. I hadn't heard of that product, but I checked out their web site and it sounds like a good fit. It looks like Home Depot sells it also (Menards doesn't have stores around here).

In your case, has it stayed white (or whatever color you used)?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:50 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

GE white 100% silicone caulk should work.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
GE white 100% silicone caulk should work.
Ron
Thanks for your reply, but I've had a bad experience with that. That's what I used when I installed my windows to caulk under the nailing flange, and also the flashing over the flange where it meets the window. It was exposed for a while before I installed the window trim, but even after a week or two it was starting to turn yellow. I still have a few that have been exposed since June, and the caulk is brown now. I don't think it's naturally discoloring. More likely, it's dirt and pollen in the air sticking to it. But regardless, I wouldn't use it for an exterior application that is going to be exposed. And, if it turned yellow and I decided to paint it, silicon caulk won't hold paint.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumak View Post
Also, for filling screw holes in the Azek, they recommended Bond & Fill. The only problem is that applicator tool is pretty expensive.

Has anyone used either of these, or the TrimBonder product that I mentioned in my initial post?

Yes, I trimmed a house in Michigan using Certainteeds version of vinyl trim and used Bond n Fill for countersunk holes, dings, and some glue joints (to compare to marine epoxy). The applicator worked very well but as you say, pricey. I liked the result very much.

The only problem was that it was a top-o-the-line product used on an average house, and I did not recover the cost.
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,052

You don't want the trim almost tight to the window without any room for a proper bead of caulking. The vinyl window and plastic trim expand and contract with the seasons, even between night and day as the temperature changes. You cannot get a proper "hourglass" shape of caulking without a backer rod or poly tape. Very important to have the caulk bond on the sides, not the back as some just fill it up. Leave a 3/16" gap there and use some 3/8" backer rod before caulking, pushing it in as explained: pp. 30: Exterior Siding, Trim & Finishes - Google Books

pp. 35: Architectural detailing: function ... - Google Books