Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Is this mold?
Poll Options
Is this mold?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

calling all homeowners with basement!

Is this wall coated with mold or just peeling/faded paint?

Last edited by federer; 10-18-2010 at 11:38 PM.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:08 AM   #2

1st off, what were you doing in my basement ? ? ?

there's over 10,000 types of mold - does it feel damp to the touch ? is it cold & clammy ? do your eyes water when you're in the basement ? none of those answers mean its mold - i'm just curious about your basement so - since no one can tell w/o lab testing & the related cost, why do you want to know ? my guess is - PAINT

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Is it mold? Probably. Is it a problem? No. What to do with it? spray some tilex or bleach solution on it and scrub it off. Rinse well. Let dry. Will it come back? If you don't get the moisture levels down, it will. Concrete itself won't support mold growth, but the accumulated dust and dirt on it will. So will some of the organic fillers used in paints.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #4

Looks like peeling paint to me, although there could still be mold. Best to play it safe when it comes to mold and assume there is some.

I would recommend getting a very stiff brush and stripping off all that paint (otherwise any new paint will flake off), then doing the bleach/Tilex spray, then painting with a mildew/mold resistant paint or primer.
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #5

That looks to be paint. That's the SAME color my parents basement walls where when we remodeled it.

There might be mold there somewhere but note that mold does not grow on cementitous products since there is nothing for it to eat. Mold only grows on damp/wet areas with things for it to eat. Like for example if there was drywall there prior. This is a direct answer from a mold expert I used to work with who is fully certified in mold remediation.

Per the standards of mold removal, you spray the affected area (or wipe with a cloth wetted with anti microbial spray), run the vacuum over it and then wipe the area again with a wetted cloth (with anti microbial spray). I am not an expert but this is how I saw it done and was told it was done. I worked as a reconstruction PM for a mold remediation company.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 AM   #6

Oh yeah...wear a mask when doing any sanding, stripping or vacuuming!

I would recommend a cool Darth Vader style mask.
spaceman spif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #7

haha. thanks so much for the input everyone.

the short story is-i just had my entire basement demoed. it was completely finished with drywall and electrical and duct,the whole deal. but inside one of teh closet next to the pic i attached here there was a lot of mold, so i decided to demo the entire basement to see how bad it was behind all the drywall. and this is what i discovered. so it looks as though i panicked, but there was no need to be. the demo company went ahead and sprayed some bleach solution on the entire wall, and painted over it with a fungicide paint. so now you cant even see the original concrete.

maybe i will post more pics
Old 10-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #8

this is what i was referring to-the corner in the closet. this was what spurred me to demo the rest of the basement to find out how bad it was. turns out it wasnt too bad!

Old 10-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #9

what did you guys think? scared all of you away?
Old 10-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #10

not at all - just wondering why you didn't do a moisture test BEFORE covering the area back up ? i'd want to know WHY 1st,,, then again, its your house

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #11

they did do a moisture test before demoing, but they went ahead and paint right over it immediately. i am going to borrow a moisture meter and monitor it in the next couple weeks to see how it looks. i guess the real reason is because the contractor didnt want to wait to come back. they did the whole thing in 2 days.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #12

and thats what your basement looks like? :P