Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #1

Share |

Calling all builders, I am building a Shed

I am building a outbuilding for my adventure in to the woodworking hobby. I got appoval from wife so the hard part is done LOL. I have general questions to start with and will keep asking on this forum thanks in advance for all responses. I have done some research and I think I will build it the size of 24 W by 30 L wanting to get input on that, and also I have heard that with a shop of that size I might be able to save some cash with the foundation by using colomns (pier and beam) rather than a concrete slab. Wanting info on this too please. Any recommendations on this would be appreciated and I already know about the stupid city codes. Thanks again for all responses.

Last edited by bemgolf; 09-29-2008 at 07:51 PM.
bemgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemgolf View Post
...and I already know about the stupid city codes.
Guess you don't need as much help as you say you do then.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

LOL no I just would like to know with a shop the size of 24 by 30 would it be better to do a concrete slab and cost, or to do piller with the floor off the ground. Thanks for this forums help. I am building it with some friends but need a good idea on the foundation. Yes they are builders just wanted to get others point of view.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #4

Not enough information to reply intelligently.

Location is important. If you are in a colder part of the country or have a problem with rodents then that would be an issue.

Insulation and temperature is another issue.

I assume you are gong to have a floor of some sort other than a Mother Earth floor and this means joists which means insulation in cold country. If you use joists then you need insulation and insulation is wonderful for rodents to live in.

The there is the joist issue. Are you going to span the 24 feet in one joist or are you going with a center bearing point? Spanning 24 feet requires a large beam. Even a 12 foot span requires a 2x8 marginally and preferable a 2x10 if you are going to have some heavy equipment in there.

Are you in areas of high wind because you have to think of wind loading and securing your building to the earth.

If you go with joists then you have to think ventilation and moisture barrier.

I am a slab guy. For something as large as what you are proposing the slab is overall cheaper and less hassle. No worries on spanning, insulation, moisture barriers, rodent problems, and bolting the building do the slab will make high winds a non issue. If you are in cold country then throw in some Pex in the slab for some hydronic heating in the winter. it is cheap and efficient. A thicker slab like 8 inches will make temperature control so much nicer. Thermal mass is what it's all about.

If you go with a slab think electrical, plumbing and sewer even if you won't need this stuff. It is much easier to put this in upfront that later on. It is not all that difficult or expensive to do it now just in case you want it in later.

Thinking years down the road is a skill that most people don't have.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
the Musigician

idunno.... sounds "Fishy" to me.......

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
idunno.... sounds "Fishy" to me.......

DM

Just curious why post if you don't know LOL Thanks anyway tho LOL
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #7

Doing woodworking I think I would prefer a wood floor.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #8

Be,
What area of the country are you in? Is the land well drained, flat, sloped, etc? Post some pics of the area you want to put your shop. It helps to give more details to get better answers.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #9

What are you going to be doing with the building - without usage senario it's very difficult to make suggestions or recommendations.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What are you going to be doing with the building - without usage senario it's very difficult to make suggestions or recommendations.
This was going to be a dedicated building for woodworking. I am new to the hobby, but probably to start out small furniture and maybe some cabinets for the kitchen redone of course, and by then I am sure the honey do list will expand and home repairs. Thanks
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #11

Foundation walls with a crawlspace and framed floor. I say this because I have a friend with this scenario, and it enabled him to install a central vac system in the floor, piped with 4" pvc to all of his tools. All of the pipes had valves to open and close, depending on which tools he was using. He even had register boots hooked up to the vacuum. He would periodically open those, so that he could sweep the sawdust right up to the register to get sucked in...too cool. Be sure that you have an idea of where your tools are going to be before the shop gets built. It would suck if you get the thing built, only to find out you can't maneuver a 4x8 piece of sheet stock between the tools. It takes alot of room to make a shop flow well. A table saw uses an 8' x 16' footprint. Another improvement that my friend made to his shop was an air box big enough for 4 central air filters to fit in, hanging from the ceiling. He used a central air squirrel cage blower to circulate air through it. This improved the air quality tremendously and helped with the accumulation of fine particles from settling everywhere, which could be an explosive fire hazard. Hope this helps.

CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote