Calculating Dimensions For Corner Fireplace - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Calculating dimensions for corner fireplace

Currently deciding between a couple fireplace brands and need to know how to calculate which will fit. The one we like doesn't have the measurements I'm looking for in the sales book. I drew it and attached the pic in case the description below is not the clearest.

The unit will go in a corner. The back of the unit is 28.5" and needs 1/2" clearance from each wall. The unit is 21" deep. I am trying to figure out how wide the face wall will be (or how far out it comes on each wall). I'm almost to the point of cutting a piece of plywood and putting it in the corner to physically measure but somebody has to be able to do this easier than I'm making it!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11251300.PDF (16.7 KB, 25 views)

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Assuming the gap has to be 1/2" measured perpendicular from the wall, 71.9" overall, say 6ft.

Advertisement

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tony.g For This Useful Post:
moneymgmt (11-25-2013)
Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #3

Thank you very much!

So my side walls would each come out 51" from the corner = too big for the location we're putting it due to a sliding door and the desired hearth. Glad I questioned the sales guy on "oh sure, it'll fit".

Can I throw one more at you? Should be smaller: 29.25" across the back, same 1/2" gap, 19.75" deep.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

If you're that tight for space due to restrictions (doors,windows, etc..) on each side, you'll likely need to "clip" the corners of the fireplace surround and hearth so that the hearth isn't so long........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

Not so much tight for space as it is aesthetically unpleasant. Already planning on a 'return' on each side but measuring is a lot easier knowing the whole right triangle first. One way to get around it is to have the hearth only on the diagonal (not the short sides) but I do not like the look. Plenty of options, just making sure we don't buy a unit that doesn't fit and then find out we need to modify my construction half when it shows up. I'm building the wall and doing all but setting the fireplace, venting, and gas run.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

You should be able to download an installers manual online, which would give you all the rough opening dimensions before you get too far.......

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote