Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Cable Rail

I'm replacing my deck and am thinking of putting in cable rail. Is there any other companies that sells the "kit" besides cable rail? Does anyone have any advice on doing this? Or has anyone else just bought a swager and the cable from a local store and gone out on their own?

Our intent is to go for a contemporary look for the deck.

Thanks

akairborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:48 PM   #2

Cable Rail

I've seen it done, but I honestly don't recall how the ends were held in place once tightened. I do know that they used stainless steel cable so it wouldn't corrode.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 02:43 AM   #3

Cable Rail

Saw your post, I provide aluminum for railing kits, I would refer you to a company called Rigging Products, that's where I get my cable from. There are several types of ends that can be used. Most people use the threaded stud ends and hide with button caps and washers. There are hidden toggles that can be used with turnbuckles that hide the ends, to do this you need to use hollow tube (like the posts I sell at DIYRailing.com). This is the neatest cleanest look you can get.

Here's a picture of a project I'm working on right now.
Attached Images

RailingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #4

Cable Rail

I used Suncor Stainless in Plymouth, MA for turnbuckles and wire. Jersey Strand & Cable was cheaper for the wire.
PerpetuallyRepairing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 12:32 PM   #5

Cable Rail

Great replies. I am looking at doing 11 cables 3"oc with 4x4's every 4 ft. I was planning on swaging one end and having a tensioner on the far end. Or I'll have the threaded studs on both ends.
akairborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:40 AM   #6

Cable Rail

You can use a a field crimper, but your loads are limited to 700-900 lbs before they pull out, also use a 7x7 as it will crimp better than 1x19. You can purchase the cables machine swedged to get loads that are more than double. So, if you have kids that may try to climb, or jump on, machine swedged is the way to go. if not it's much easier to get the lengths right by buying a spool and cutting it in the field.
RailingGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:45 PM   #7

Cable Rail

I only used turnbuckles on one end. On the other end I used the guy wire clamps they sell at radio shack. I grabbed the wire with vise grip pliers and pulled on the vise grips with a 2 foot crowbar. I then attached the guy wire clamp & then tightened the turnbuckles. The clamps are ugly so I covered them with a board. The wires are up to 40' long and still are tight 3 years later.

PerpetuallyRepairing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable rail, contemporary, deck, railing