Cabinet Shop Skills Test - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cabinet shop skills test

i am getting a job in a millworks shop and they require a skills test. anyone know what i am to expect.

Advertisement

mikeg1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

cabinet shop skills test

Basic math, proper tool use, basic first aid would be my guess. It would be the same stuff that a person would have to go through during shop class, back when high schools used to offer Industrial Arts.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

cabinet shop skills test

If it were me, I'd have you work on each of the machines to see if you knew what you were doing.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

cabinet shop skills test

Ron, that may be the next test, some of the people you may not want to touch a tool it's much safer to have them use a pencil first.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

cabinet shop skills test

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
Ron, that may be the next test, some of the people you may not want to touch a tool it's much safer to have them use a pencil first.
Life, I can only speak for me. What other people do is their business.
There would be some interviewing and pre screening involved, but I wasn't writing a safety tome.
The point was that I would be interested in their hands on experience primarily.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,806

cabinet shop skills test

Mike, if you were being tested for a job in my shop you wouldn't touch a tool until I knew you were capable, I would not want the lawsuit for putting some one inexperienced on a dangerous tool.

I am sure they will find out what your experiences are before anything else, at least a smart person would.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

cabinet shop skills test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
If it were me, I'd have you work on each of the machines to see if you knew what you were doing.
Ron, in Shop class, we did not touch a tool, until we went through proper safety procedures, and instruction about shop etiquette.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote