Buying A House With Structural Damage?? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

buying a house with structural damage??

So I am look at buying a house right now. My budget is low so I am looking at rehab homes. I looked at one yesterday and got very excited about the showing.....until I went upstairs the hallway and rooms have an obvious slant . I don't know anything about building or construction but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it has structural damage.
After looking at the basement it was brought to my attention that the house was raised and leveled.
So I guess my question is. If the the house was raised and leveled but the upstairs still slopes what should my concerns be with buying?
and what might be needed to repair the upstairs and does anyone know what this might cost?

Advertisement

saholly_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
I don't know anything about building or construction but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it has structural damage.
Ayuh,... You don't want That house,... Find another 1....

From what little you stated,.. An estimate of the repairs is Impossible....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Post does not say how old the house is, or characterize the damage, or indicate if there is reason to suppose it might be recent, or not.

In my area there are entire streets of 100+ year-old homes selling (or were selling, a few years back) for $750,000-1,500,000 that were built on masonry foundations extending 18" below grade with no footing, have slopes of one to 2 inches across a bedroom with doors cut down the match, and have been stable for decades after gravity had its way with the house. Part of the property's "character", and doesn't substantially affect resale value.

On the other hand, I also inspect properties constructed in the last 20 years with significant and continuing damage to poured concrete foundations that are ongoing structural nightmares.

Sometimes, the reasons for such problems are readily apparent, and it straightforward to estimate the cost of replacement or repair.

Sometimes not.

Some of my clients are more than willing to deal with these problems if the price is right.

Some aren't.

If they are, IMO a reasonable first step is to spend a few hundred dollars for evaluation by a structural engineer familiar with the construction of such properties.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote