Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Buying a house with foundation issue

I'm interested in purchasing my first house as a live in rehab home. Of course my ultimate goal is resale in a few years. THe house is very dated from the 70s so there is a lot of cosmetic issues. There seems to be one major issue and Im not entirely to sure the scope of.

In the basement the foundation wall for the attached two car garage has a large horizontal crack about 3ft up the wall. the adjoining exterior wall as the same type of crack. The original owner (now deceased, cant ask him what happened) did some sort of patch job and placed two horizontal jacks across the room.

Is this a stay away from type issue?

On the picture #1 the left wall is the garage wall, the one straight ahead is the exterior wall and to the right is an exterior wall.

^^^ Garage foundation wall

Last edited by nhoc6131; 12-29-2010 at 06:38 PM.
nhoc6131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

I wouldn't touch it, unless a structural engineer can declare the building safe, without you plugging any money into the "money pit". Unless you have your heart set on this house, and it is the only house that you can find that you can afford, or has been in the family forever, if it was me, I would walk away. Not worth sticking money into.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

That bad then eh? Thats what I was afraid of. Thanks for the reply
Old 12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If the price is really right I wouldn't walk away until I had someone inspect it and get a good opinion on what a fix would involve/cost.

Looks like it's been there for some time. Foundation issues are not that big of a deal to repair but I wouldn't try a DIY if your not familiar with the correct process.

If you can get the price dropped to cover the correct fix then you can re-evaluate the rest of the home. If not, walk away.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

Oh yeah this definitely is not a DIY situation for me, but I figured Id ask here as Im sure you all have seen some things. I was thinking about at least getting it inspected first and adjusting the price but im on a tight budget with this one and a costly foundation repair might break it for me
Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Unless you have an extra 20% for Emergency fund just in case something happens, stating that you are tight on budget, could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Especially when you do not know what you are walking into. Three years after we purchased our home, we had to have the roof replaced, because of bad roofing job, that was not done right by Sears. Same lady that we purchased it from, had lived in since it was built by her husband over seventy years ago. Structurally, our house was in very good shape, just stuff like the roof was something that we did not think about, because it was disclosed done within the last five years (receipts of anything and everything was in the packet that we got from the orig. owner of all the appliances).

Find out how much it will cost, make sure that your lawyer is on board also in helping to negotiate the sell. A lawyer comes in handy for stuff like this, because you never know what can of worms will open up, especially since as you stated, the orig. home owner is deceased, and his family does not know anything about it.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 150

It is not a deal killer as long as you know what you are getting into. There has obviously been some movement in the foundation. I have to wonder if the poured concrete wall, even though cracked, is still plumb or if it is out a few inches. You definetly want a Professional Engineer to make a determination so as you know what you are in for and You will want to get the engineer's report in writing with his seal and signature. Even if the engineer determines that the wall is structurally sound you know the issue will come up when you sell the home some years from now.

TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote