Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #1

Share |

Buy Pre-fab Jamb kit -- or build new Jamb from scratch

I am in the middle of renovating my entire house, and have been for some time now. Months ago I purchased 7 new Trimlite 5 panel shaker doors. At the time I was being cheap and thinking I could salvage the 45 year old door jambs I currently have -- refinish them, prime, and paint. And thus, I did not buy pre-hung doors.

Well, after removing the old trim around the doors, I can honestly say that was a mistake. The old jambs are a mess, and I was kidding myself thinking they were at all salvageable. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Now for my current conundrum: I have shopped around, and it seems to me it might be pretty convenient (and cost efficient) to grab a bunch of the pre-fab door kits that come with the jambs and header and doorstop. However, they come in two varieties -- MDF and Finger Joint.

Is the MDF actually sufficient for this purpose? All the big box stores and other lumber yards all carry lots of MDF jambs... However, I must say, I actually prefer the look of MDF, since the door trims I am using are also MDF, and it suits the contemporary feel I am going for.

The last option is to just build them myself, and although it pales in comparison to all the other stuff that has been done in the house, building jambs for 7 doors plus adding door stop just adds to the list...

I'd very much like to hear thoughts anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

domh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #2

I've never even seen an MDF jamb. Might be ok for an opening, but a door frame?
It's not going to hold screws and dent to easy.
Unless I had lots and lots of time on my hands, I go with the jamb kits. (I really never would have chosen door slabs)
Only reason not to go with premade jambs is if your dealing with odd sized walls, like when there plastered. Then it would be best to make your own.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

I assume these are interior doors? I would never use an MDF jamb for an exterior door. It doesn't like getting wet.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #4

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/prim...-4-9-16/904981

The MDF prefabs are basically just like this, except... prefabricated

Also, yep they're interior. Although it would be nice to have a house large enough to warrant 7 doors

Yeah, all the framing is standard. Really wish I had bought pre-hung...
domh is offline   Reply With Quote