Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Share |

Busting out my shower tile floor and walls.

I am about to tear out my tile shower and rebuild it, just want to make sure I do not screw something up in the removal process. I am removing all the tile from the walls floor and ceiling and assume I have to start from scratch with a bare floor and studs.. For the floor, I assume I have to go all the way to the concrete, but what are the steps to doing this, is it possible to somehow break the drain? Can I somehow damage the concrete floor below? How do I keep from damaging the drain and floor?

For the walls and ceiling what do I do there to prevent extra damage? Will I have to resheetrock the ceiling after I pull the tile down? I assume I have to rerock the walls. Do I go in with the sledge hammer or a chissle, what is the best recommended approach to this.

Thanks in advance.

caliskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Is this bath in the basement, on a slab? Are the walls just sheetrock, not a mud job? Are the floor tiles adhered to the concrete floor? Shower? What base does the shower have? Acrylic or tiled? Tub?
The tile can be chiseled off the floor without damaging drains. Tiled walls will come off in sheets as the tile would be attached to the wallboard. Take the ceiling down if you need to run wires, install lighting, vent fans, venting etc.. It's much easier,
Post a picture if you can.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Is this bath in the basement, on a slab? Are the walls just sheetrock, not a mud job? Are the floor tiles adhered to the concrete floor? Shower? What base does the shower have? Acrylic or tiled? Tub?
The tile can be chiseled off the floor without damaging drains. Tiled walls will come off in sheets as the tile would be attached to the wallboard. Take the ceiling down if you need to run wires, install lighting, vent fans, venting etc.. It's much easier,
Post a picture if you can.
Ron
Thanks for the help...

On a slab no basement in the house, house on a lab on the ground. Walls are dryrock I think they call it, gray stuff. Not a mud job. Floor tiles are on a pack of concrete and sand. Tile floor, no tub, not acrylic, there is a membrane at the bottom of all on top of concrete I believe.

I do not think it will let me post an image.
caliskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

At the top of the,"building & construction" listing you will find the instructions to post a picture.
I have never heard of," gray stuff". You only see a membrane, generally in the shower. Is there a walk in shower(no curb) with a drain?
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote