Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

busted garage door opener.

for the last few days my garage door hasn't been shutting. today i went up to take a look and the chains were hanging real low:

I tried to shut the garage door after taking the above picture and "SNAP". the chain fell. this is what broke:

obviously, this needs to be replaces. my question is how difficult is it to replace for someone that knows little about garage doors?

THanks for any help and advice.

mr2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #2

I would try to contact the manufacture to see if you can still get parts for it. If not then I would be looking into getting a new one because sometimes the cost of a repair is more than a new one would cost.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2005 View Post
how difficult is it to replace for someone that knows little about garage doors?
From a mechanical aspect, there is nothing really unique about garage door openers, so, in my opinion, if you think you can, based on other things that you have tackled, you probably can (repair it yourself). Do you have the manual for your opener? If not, as Epson suggested, go to the manufacturer. I would look online first, to see if there is a manual on yours or a similar model. If you can make sense of the parts breakdown, you should be able to determine if you can handle it. If not, how old is it? If less than, let's say 10-15 years, I would suggest contacting a garage door company in your area, to see if they can repair it. If older, you may want to consider buying a new opener. (Age, by the way is a very arbitrary number. If everything, including the opener, door, track, springs, etc., is properly installed and maintained, there is no reason that an opener can't last 30 years or more. On the other hand, I have known people who are content to ignore routine maintenance, and replace an opener every 8-10 years.)
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

Just buy one similar to the one you have and it isn't that tough at all. They include step by step instructions.
Hurriken is offline   Reply With Quote